Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Le Mans and not quite return

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
    It has a split from left to right just above where the number plate goes.

Adrian
    Could be repaired if you still have the broken bit.

Comment

Looking at doing that but just in case.

Regards

Adrian

Originally posted by meverett View Post
      Could be repaired if you still have the broken bit.

Comment

A little while ago someone was selling the parts from an unfinished Roadster on eBay.
        There was a thread about it, somebody on here may have his contact number.

Comment

Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

For something like a broken nosecone or even the back wing fiberglass is actually really easy to repair - especially as you have not yet painted it!

Comment

You are of course right but I am looking at a quick fix and I won't be able to do anything until my ribs have healed.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone else, other than myself, who could do the job.

My mechanic would be able to fit a nose cone.

Adrian

Originally posted by duncan View Post
              For something like a broken nosecone or even the back wing fiberglass is actually really easy to repair - especially as you have not yet painted it!

Comment

I have his number. He has/had new nose cone and wings and lots of other useful bits from an unbuilt project. Nice helpful guy he bought it just for the engine and running gear so rest is surplus. PM me for his number sure he wont mind.

Comment

I have pm'd you.

Adrian

Originally posted by Lanciajohn View Post
                  I have his number. He has/had new nose cone and wings and lots of other useful bits from an unbuilt project. Nice helpful guy he bought it just for the engine and running gear so rest is surplus. PM me for his number sure he wont mind.

Comment

Fingers crossed he still has the bits you need

Comment

Hi all

Quick update

Still can't do much in the way of the heavy work so my mechanic is starting on it next week

He's got to finish an Aston first.

Priorities and all that.

I have made a start on repairing the wings and nose cone.

So what's he going to do?

Change water pump, change steering rack, change track rod ends, change lower trunnions,
                      sort out wheel wobble.

Then I will put on the repaired body work.

Put new led rear lights on, new fuel filter.

Get it mot'd then down to my mates in Chelmsford to get the upgrades done.

NOT much if you look what had to be done before I went to Le Mans Classic.

Adrian

Comment

I am extremely sceptical about the quality of allegedly refurbished steering racks. So many fail after a few months usually in the same manner every time. Finding genuine NOS racks is highly unlikely today.

Somewhere on this forum, there was an apparent recommendation for a reliable supplier, I can’t find it right now.

If there is one, please let the Morris Marina (FastMarina) forum know too. I am sure they, and we, would be delighted with your input.

Good luck with the repairs.
                        MOC member since 05/97
                        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Hi Steve

For clarity I had a crash on the front and looking out for my safety I have decided to replace the Steering Rack as I don't know what could have been damaged internally.

Therefore I do not have a choice other than fit a refurbished unit.

I will let everyone know if I have any issues with this.

Regards

Adrian

Regards

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                          I am extremely sceptical about the quality of allegedly refurbished steering racks. So many fail after a few months usually in the same manner every time. Finding genuine NOS racks is highly unlikely today.

Somewhere on this forum, there was an apparent recommendation for a reliable supplier, I can’t find it right now.

If there is one, please let the Morris Marina (FastMarina) forum know too. I am sure they, and we, would be delighted with your input.

Good luck with the repairs.

Comment

Hi
                            Steering racks are simple things - give it a good clean - a visual inspection
                            And check that it moves freely from stop to stop

The most likely failures would be damage to the housing or a bent rack - both easily checked

If your rack is OK then it's probably better than a "refurbished" one!

Comment

Hi

It's been changed now but maybe when I have some downtime I will look at it and if ok it could become a spare.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I have a busy weekend and week ahead so won't be putting the body back on but will find some time next weekend after my mechanic has set the suspension and steering up.

As long as it passes the MOT then week after next should be back on the road.

Adrian

Originally posted by duncan View Post
                              Hi
                              Steering racks are simple things - give it a good clean - a visual inspection
                              And check that it moves freely from stop to stop

The most likely failures would be damage to the housing or a bent rack - both easily checked

If your rack is OK then it's probably better than a "refurbished" one!

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
                                Hi

......... I won't be putting the body back on but will find some time next weekend after my mechanic has set the suspension and steering up........

Adrian
                                Best recheck the steering toe-in after the body is replaced as it will probably change as the car sits lower with the extra weight.

Comment

Working...
                                X