Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Yellow topped relay sierra origin fuse box

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Yellow topped relay sierra origin fuse box 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member Tony Stott's Avatar
    Hi all
    Came to try and start the Berly at the weekend, turned key nothing, battery ok smell of hot wiring, just been checking all the relays, main power ok, the brown and red ok, the yellow top 40 amp, I think, shows no activity, tried feeding the activation spades, open circuit, is this a 40amp relay, been looking in Haynes to no avail, if so where to get one before I start trawling the net. suggestions welcomed
    god its hot here!

2. #2 Re: Yellow topped relay sierra origin fuse box 
    ^ not this relay, its for the horn!, need to trace the main power relay connection tween the ignition switch and the fuse box doesn't appear to be working although seem to have output from the switch - need to be e3lsewhere now back to it later!

3. #3 Re: Yellow topped relay sierra origin fuse box 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Ford dealer? You may need some Delco smoke to put back in the loom. Don't try Lucas smoke it is a different formula and will clog up the wires. Try testing the relay off the car with a load, headlamp bulb or similar. It can happen that a relay shows OK with a meter but will not carry a load. Good Luck! I hate Ford wiring, the diagrams are a nightmare, to me anyway.

4. #4 Re: Yellow topped relay sierra origin fuse box 
    frequent forum contributor
    Now living in North Wales, Press that inn
    This may help, http://www.fordopedia.org/parts-cata...erra-mk1/J2.21 as with some kit cars not everything is sacrosanct to that specific model,and as usual interchanging of electrical parts is down to the builder. Nothing is insurmountable just needs more info. For instance the yellow relay on my Roadster is for the fuel pump, it clicks when the ignition is turned on and then switches off until the engine is fired up and then switches on again to keep pump running as long as the engine is running.

5. #5 Re: Yellow topped relay sierra origin fuse box 
    thanks for the info, done some more work this morning, the starter appears to be f**ked, now the game begins as there are few if any auto electrical engineers in my bit of france, it/I appear to live in a throwaway society, have just contacted an ebay seller for more info.
    Another question, with a Sierra loom how many fusible a re ther normally, found one adjacent the battery, is it likely another by the dash?

6. #6 Re: Yellow topped relay sierra origin fuse box 
    frequent forum contributor
    Now living in North Wales, Press that inn
    Again Tony there is no standardisation on kit car building, and I doubt if two kit cars are ever built the same with different engines specifications of different donor cars the possibilities are endless.

If I were you I would label as many wires ,switches, relays etc, and get up close and personal with every colour coded wire that you can, you have nothing to lose but a hell of a lot to gain, sheer desperation will sharpen the mind and the easier the workshop manuals will be understood. Its a man made object, so a man can repair it no matter how long it takes.

7. #7 Re: Yellow topped relay sierra origin fuse box 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Hi Tony, I know this car well, as you know. Bob and Lee once fixed a wiring problem on it for me. Forget relays etc for the moment and check connections on block multi connections. These can corrode badly. Check through all connections and identify the wiring. The Sierra loom was used or at least part of it as there was quite a lot not used/not required. Smell of hot wiring may suggest dead short. Always good to know which wire does what and good advice above ref labels. Of course find out which relay operates which circuit etc.

8. #8 Re: Yellow topped relay sierra origin fuse box 
    Sorry about delayed response, awaiting delivery of a new starter motor, the French bit ofParcelforce cocked it up, left in a local collection depot but info which one!

Yellow topped relay fine.

Starter wiring traced, checked, the 70A relay burned ou, replaced, power to starter cables.

Mounted new starter motor, sloshed a little petrol on the air filter , tried it and hey ho it works!

Thanks for the suggestions. I discovered whilst trying the motor etc a leak in the servo vac pipe, think its an original Ford piece, removed the faulty bit and then tried to join the semi rigid tube, heated it etc all unsuccessful.
    I am now looking for suggestions as to what type of tube to use before I go off searching locally which in itself is a different world to the UK, difficult finding 'stuff' here, a definite lack of parts suppliers.

Thanks in advance.

9. #9 Re: Yellow topped relay sierra origin fuse box 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member b_caswell's Avatar
    Tuyau d'aspiration de servofrein surely Peugot and Citoen had brake servos. Needs to be vacuum hose spec. Best of luck.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

10. #10 Re: Yellow topped relay sierra origin fuse box 
    Yep I Know that but there are few Factors around and about, a neighbour is currently in the UK, I've emailed him to visit Halfrauds with the question, conversely I have found some clear reinforced tube rated at 15 bar, I will try a piece , the other option would be to make up a piece with copper water pipe, here a la frog it comes in even number sizes ie 6mm, 8mm etc with a wall thickness of slightly less than 1mm so easy to accommodate different sized unions using my clear tube to connect together. I'll see how it goes!