Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow topped relay sierra origin fuse box

Hi all
    Came to try and start the Berly at the weekend, turned key nothing, battery ok smell of hot wiring, just been checking all the relays, main power ok, the brown and red ok, the yellow top 40 amp, I think, shows no activity, tried feeding the activation spades, open circuit, is this a 40amp relay, been looking in Haynes to no avail, if so where to get one before I start trawling the net. suggestions welcomed
    god its hot here!

Re: Yellow topped relay sierra origin fuse box

^ not this relay, its for the horn!, need to trace the main power relay connection tween the ignition switch and the fuse box doesn't appear to be working although seem to have output from the switch - need to be e3lsewhere now back to it later!

Comment

Ford dealer? You may need some Delco smoke to put back in the loom. Don't try Lucas smoke it is a different formula and will clog up the wires. Try testing the relay off the car with a load, headlamp bulb or similar. It can happen that a relay shows OK with a meter but will not carry a load. Good Luck! I hate Ford wiring, the diagrams are a nightmare, to me anyway.

Comment

This may help, http://www.fordopedia.org/parts-cata...erra-mk1/J2.21 as with some kit cars not everything is sacrosanct to that specific model,and as usual interchanging of electrical parts is down to the builder. Nothing is insurmountable just needs more info. For instance the yellow relay on my Roadster is for the fuel pump, it clicks when the ignition is turned on and then switches off until the engine is fired up and then switches on again to keep pump running as long as the engine is running.

Comment

thanks for the info, done some more work this morning, the starter appears to be f**ked, now the game begins as there are few if any auto electrical engineers in my bit of france, it/I appear to live in a throwaway society, have just contacted an ebay seller for more info.
          Another question, with a Sierra loom how many fusible a re ther normally, found one adjacent the battery, is it likely another by the dash?

Comment

Again Tony there is no standardisation on kit car building, and I doubt if two kit cars are ever built the same with different engines specifications of different donor cars the possibilities are endless.

If I were you I would label as many wires ,switches, relays etc, and get up close and personal with every colour coded wire that you can, you have nothing to lose but a hell of a lot to gain, sheer desperation will sharpen the mind and the easier the workshop manuals will be understood. Its a man made object, so a man can repair it no matter how long it takes.

Comment

Hi Tony, I know this car well, as you know. Bob and Lee once fixed a wiring problem on it for me. Forget relays etc for the moment and check connections on block multi connections. These can corrode badly. Check through all connections and identify the wiring. The Sierra loom was used or at least part of it as there was quite a lot not used/not required. Smell of hot wiring may suggest dead short. Always good to know which wire does what and good advice above ref labels. Of course find out which relay operates which circuit etc.

Comment

Sorry about delayed response, awaiting delivery of a new starter motor, the French bit ofParcelforce cocked it up, left in a local collection depot but info which one!

Yellow topped relay fine.

Starter wiring traced, checked, the 70A relay burned ou, replaced, power to starter cables.

Mounted new starter motor, sloshed a little petrol on the air filter , tried it and hey ho it works!

Thanks for the suggestions. I discovered whilst trying the motor etc a leak in the servo vac pipe, think its an original Ford piece, removed the faulty bit and then tried to join the semi rigid tube, heated it etc all unsuccessful.
                I am now looking for suggestions as to what type of tube to use before I go off searching locally which in itself is a different world to the UK, difficult finding 'stuff' here, a definite lack of parts suppliers.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Tuyau d'aspiration de servofrein surely Peugot and Citoen had brake servos. Needs to be vacuum hose spec. Best of luck.
                  Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Yep I Know that but there are few Factors around and about, a neighbour is currently in the UK, I've emailed him to visit Halfrauds with the question, conversely I have found some clear reinforced tube rated at 15 bar, I will try a piece , the other option would be to make up a piece with copper water pipe, here a la frog it comes in even number sizes ie 6mm, 8mm etc with a wall thickness of slightly less than 1mm so easy to accommodate different sized unions using my clear tube to connect together. I'll see how it goes!

Comment

Tony I would suggest you try any truck repair outfit as the air pipes on a truck are many and vary in sizes. Don't forget to fit inserts in the pipe when you join pipes and unions, the inserts stop the plastic pipe from collapsing when you tighten up the unions.
                      Do you not have breakers yards? from my years of driving a truck around Europe I recall seeing quite a few, you could go and cut a chunk of air pipe out of some scrapper.
                      Yes I know I said air pipe but if you can collapse a tough plastic pipe rated at over 150 psi pressure you would be lucky.

Comment

Yes there are scrappers around, nearest 30 mls, the vac pipe non return valve and other pieces have fluted push on mountings cf garden hose, the only screwed joint is onto the inlet manifold, but the tube connection is as above. The tube I have just mounted is rated at 15bar, probably pressure as opposed to suction but in a cold state it is difficult to compress. I now need to remount the dash panel , steering wheel etc tomorrow then I will be able to take a gentle tootle around to get the engine compartment/engine warm to see the state of the tube, I have tried to route it away from heat sources, the manifold mount might be the problematic one - we'll see tomorrow hopefully! The ultimate intention is to visit a large factors in Brest and acquire a metre of vac tube.

Comment

I've used their hoses for vac. use and all been OK

Comment

Well the clear plastic pressure hose was spectacularly unsuccessful, the brake servo continued to function however the hose was suffering from the engine bay heat and was almost flat. Brest here I come next week, the service continues!

Comment

Replaced clear tube with a rubber job, it now functions perfectly!
                              Next problem, probably a simple solution, whilst tracing the starter wiring, noticed the oil pressure gauge(which has never worked) is an electrical one as opposed to mechanical. The oil pressure sender is a straight switch type(I think) which just switches the panel light off when pressure reached, if I replace this unit with the dedicated pressure sender unit, if I piggy back the sender output which feeds the gauge with a feed to the panel light, will this work or do I need to 't' the output connection from the block to enable the two senders to be installed.
                              Sorry if its a stupid question, as previously only used mechanical gauges, thanks in advance!

Comment

Working...
                              X