Dumb Question? am I nuts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb Question? am I nuts?

Wondering what "20 off each of 5/16 ins. and 3/8 ins. UNF plain full nuts" referred to in the manual are? Are these just ordinary hex nuts? or are they something different. By the way, has anyone used some acorn nuts in place of ordinary hex nuts? I prefer them where corrosion is an issue, as well as appearance. As always, advice and opinions are welcome

Re: Dumb Question? am I nuts?

5/16 or 3/8 UNF plain full nuts mean the diameter of the thread is 5/16 or 3/8.,,, the spanners will be 7/16 or 1/2.
    UNF means unified fine … this is quite a close thread, unlike UNC which would be (coarse) like threads into a steel engine block.
    Plain means just a nut - no locking or additions.
    Full means a full height nut (ie not a "thin" nut)
    Acorn nuts, like dome nuts, are fine (but decorative) provided you have the correct length of bolt protrusion and it doesn,t bottom out inside the nut. They must also be the correct grade … but that's another level!

Comment

Quote from Marina kit build manual

s) lt is well worth the expense of buying about 10 each of the following nyloc nuts, 5/15 ins. 3/8 ins. 7/16 ins. and 1/2
      ins. UNF, and 20 off each of 5/16 ins. and 3/8 ins. UNF plain full nuts. This will make reconditioning of parts easier
      and neater. Look up Bolt and Nut stockists ln the Yellow Pages for a supplier

I think this suggests using new nuts when refurbishing the running gear most of the mechanicals especially bolts with the nyloc nuts need to run through the nut so I wouldn't recommend using dome nuts as they wont lock as well and unless you are sure are pulling up fully they may be bottoming out in the dome and so not fully tight.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Good point about the "locking" aspect.
        Hadn,t considered that in the respect of "UNF plain full nuts" and suspension.

Comment

And remember ...Staimless Steel, whilst beautiful, is NOT HIGH TENSILE.
          Snap !

Comment

Yep, agree to all. So basically the manual says replace all the nuts. Aware of "no stainless" and tensile strength issues. Am using loctite everywhere too, Would use Nylock in favour of ordinary hex nuts where possible. No heat issues I can see. Have a pretty good supplier who has the range of tensile qualities on hand. Pacific Fasteners, if you happen to drop by. Use Acorn nuts in salt water marine applications where removal is an option. For instance we mostly use acorn nuts for wheels.
            Last edited by cryophile; 01-08-18, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Hi cryophile. I've sent you a private message (PM) regarding your car's history - check the top right of this screen and click on "Notifications" to read it

You can reply the same way if you wish.

Regards Dave Cunnington

Comment

Working...
              X