Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torsion Bar and Reaction Lever

Hello together
    first i hope, my english are good enought to explain my problem, because i am from german and not so perfect in english;
    so i hope you can understand and maybe can help; looked at the pitstop and the production manual for make firm correctly the reaction lever but was not find the right one;
    when i get my marlin, the reaction lever is bolted with the frame and so do i, when i restored; but now i think that can not be correct; when it is bolted, it can not do his work for the suspension?
    if there is any ground wave on the street, my car jump from side to side; in the manual there is shown this picture Reaction Lever.JPG
    but there i can not see how to fix; is the torsion bar fixed at the frame with a snap ring? so that the reation lever can swing up and down?
    also on the picture is a "clamp bolt"; can somebody tell me how it looks like or better, where can i get some?
    Thanks very mutch for helps;
    Best regards
    Stefan

Re: Torsion Bar and Reaction Lever

So many questions.
    Can you send a picture of your installation. The drawing is right.
    The torsion bar comes in two sizes, what is the diameter of yours, the torsion bar needs to be able to twist.
    Most of the ride comfort comes from the front tyre pressure normally advised around 22psi, what are yours?
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Stefan, I will attempt a simple explanation in English !
      The torsion bar has splines at each end which locate (slide) into the front suspension part and also into the bracket at the rear as in your pictures. These pieces can be moved on the splines when the car is built in order to give the correct ride height.
      My pictures 1 and 2 show the front bracket before cleaning and repainting, 3 and 4 are afterwards
      Picture 5 is inside the car, in each footwell you can see the large hole into which the end of the torsion bar fits – location only, with space around it, and the small hole which locates the clamp bolt.
      The rear bracket, as in your picture, slides onto the splines and is located with the clamp bolt. The tension is then adjusted with the adjuster bolt…....in other words the bracket can move around the clamp bolt
      Picture 6 is a rear bracket from underneath before cleaning and painting, I hope you can see it here because picture 7 is not good, showing a painted one from above

Your problem may well be something else entirely as the Marina Roadster does have a tendency to jump around. Are the rubber bushes front and rear in good condition ?
      I will wait for someone else to answer these questions.

I hope the above has been useful to you. Please tell me which Roadster you have, and can you post a picture please

Dave Cunnington
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
        So many questions.
        Can you send a picture of your installation. The drawing is right.
        The torsion bar comes in two sizes, what is the diameter of yours, the torsion bar needs to be able to twist.
        Most of the ride comfort comes from the front tyre pressure normally advised around 22psi, what are yours?
        I agree with Steve, check tyre pressure first. I run mine at 20psi ( about 1.4bar ) all round. Could be easy fix.
        Stumbling around in the dark
        Marina based SWB roadster
        Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

Here is an excerpt from the original Marina Workshop manual. It should help.
          here or there
          MOC member since 05/97
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

I have taken the liberty of moving this thread as it really a “Roadster related discussion” not a tech tip.
            Paul

Comment

Stefan64 has solved his problem. Keepandshare helped him on his way.
              MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Excellent photos Dave.
                I have an early kit and a MK1 Marina donor. Trying to figure out how the Reaction Lever Retaining bolt goes. Have a large hole bored into the cross member (33mm dia.) and seem to have lost the retaining bolts. Hole in the lever is pretty big too. Suspect there was some sort of grommet now lost or still in donor car (gone). 20180915_100538.jpg.
                Could you offer any suggestions or direct me to relevant shop manual or build instructions?
                Update: Have found the "drill 7/16 hole" instructions in the older manual, so I guess my confusion is over having lost the reaction lever retaining bolt and "spring and special washer".
                Any suggestions in getting the spline ends loose on the torsion bar, is also appreciated. Have put all the heat I have on them. May have to go to a shop with a hydraulic press.
                Regards,
                Grant
                Last edited by cryophile; 15-09-18, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Hi Grant,
                  There should be a smaller clamp bolt hole there too.
                  This has been scanned from the build manual.

6C466494-0BD0-4DB5-B85F-E4B2EEE511FA.jpeg

Martin.

Comment

Grant, as per Martins post above, this is the location of the smaller holes you are missing
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks to Martin and Dave!
                      Seems the older kits are "drill your own hole?". Saw a couple of Marinas at a local restorer yesterday and realized the end of the torsion bar locates in the larger hole. Also got some spare bits I'd lost, like the lever retaining bolts and washers. No sign of a spring the shop manual mentions. Was this just the lock washer? Your pictures make it abundantly clear. Now just need to get the torsion bar moving on the splines the levers have. Will try a local machine shop with a press.
                      Anyone putting any sort of padding under the adjusting bolt head to prevent knocking on a rough road? The Marina is apparently reversed, and has a cap on the end of the bolt.

Unfortunately I tore my Marina apart more than 30 years ago and can no longer remember where things go.
                      Great help in my befuddlement.
                      Grant
                      Last edited by cryophile; 17-09-18, 05:50 PM.

Comment

No problem Grant,
                        I am in the middle of a full rebuild too (Roadster rebuild diary from Cornwall) so if you need any help we will always try to help.
                        Good luck, Martin.

Comment

My pleasure to help Grant

Comment

Is there nothing to keep the torsion bar from sliding back into the passenger compartment? One snap ring keeps it from sliding forward, but I can't see what would keep it in place from moving backward. Did I miss something?
                            Last edited by cryophile; 04-10-18, 01:30 AM. Reason: update worried about torsion bar sliding out.

Comment

Working...
                            X