Drove to Lisbon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drove to Lisbon

Strictly speaking over three days earlier this week from the Isle of Wight to a town a few kilometres west of Lisbon.

Ferry Fishbourne to Portsmouth.
    Portsmouth.jpg

Ferry Portsmouth to Caen
    Caen.jpg

France: Sur l'autoroute:
    France.jpg

Spain: En la autopista
    Spain.jpg

Portugal: Eu só não gosto de viajar lá na auto-estrada.
    Portugal.JPG

With time constraints there was no option but to take the quickest route. It was quite expensive on tolls but 70 to 80mph most of the way. Although generally the drive was somewhat monotonous the scenery was a little more interesting between France and Spain also between Spain and Portugal but still just motorway roads.

I received a number of favourable comments including one young lady in a toll booth who was clearly in love with me or the car.

Not the most picturesque journey reported on these forums this year but possibly the longest (about 2,000 km or 1,200 miles) – unless you know better.

My thanks to internet translators. My apologies to native speakers I probably have the context wrong.
    Last edited by milliemarlin; 18-08-18, 09:41 PM.

Re: Drove to Lisbon

Brilliant

Comment

Well there I was in Spain!
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Good to see Millie out and about. Enjoy!

Comment

A quick picture to prove that it's not all motorway driving.

Sunset.jpg

Comment

Great calendar pic Paul !
            Rgds DC

Comment

Managed a few more non-motorway miles yesterday.

S1.jpg

S4.jpg

s5.jpg

S6.jpg

S7.jpg

Comment

Back home again. About 2,500 miles total. We visited a number of historic sites, museums and other interesting places on the way back. A couple of highlights:

Driving along the promenade in San Sebastian:
                S9.jpg

Les Machines de l’île, Nantes LE Grand Eléphant:
                S8.jpg

Les machines de l'île : discover Machine of the isle of Nantes in France. This steampunk park in France takes you to the discovery of the Nantes mechanical elephant in an unique atmosphere in this steampunk wonderland in France.

This is a work in progress and will eventually become a theme park. I was fascinated by the machines but feel they could achieve similar movements with simpler mechanics.

I find that people on the continent are either more interested in cars or more ready to shout out “You have a beautiful car”. I received a lot of complements, toots and when in the mountains an old herdsman stopped and clapped as we passed. I also think I gave a lot of lorry drivers a little pleasure. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience but certainly would want to do it every year.
                Paul

Comment

the elephant was out and about by the river last sunday, european heritage day!

Comment

Looks a great trip enjoyed the photos

Comment

Short video of the drive through Serra da Estrela from Torre the highest point in Portugal (1,993 metres) to Gouveia via Manteigas.

Paul

Comment

Nice!

Comment

We enjoyed that! No traffic - wonderful.

Comment

Lovely.
                            - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                            - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                            - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                            - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                            - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

As you can see I didn’t drive very quickly. We stopped quite a few times to admire the view. It took me about 2 hours to cover the 40 miles or so. In that time we saw a couple of sightseeing coaches and 10 or so cars. All the roads on the continent make ours look horrible overcrowded.

Absolutely, stunning.

Now I fancy doing it in winter.
                              Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X