Soft top securing the sides and alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft top securing the sides and alignment

My recent long journey underlined a long standing problem with Millie’s roof. The sides are supposed to be secured with Velcro but numerous attempts to get the darned stuff to stick to the metal of hood frame have failed. So at motorway speeds the hood inflates and the middle bar lifts and starts rattling.

I also know that Millie’s frame is not properly aligned with the door glass. I spent some time a while ago trying to improve the positioning but only made it worse.

So any advice on how to get the frame properly aligned and the Velcro to stick or another form securing the sides would be most welcome.

I think someone on this forum thought that using wire in some way was the way to go. How did that work out?
    Paul

The gap between the frame and sides at 80mph
    Attached Files

Re: Soft top securing the sides and alignment

Just an idea,but why not put a heavy zip there like the Roadsters have . Or possibly poppers with the Velcro?

Comment

With the sun shining why is the hood up?

Comment

obviously to protect the hairdo! ; - D)

Comment

I used some pop rivets with enormous heads and it works fine holding the velcro on the metal frame. But I had a to buy a box of 250 so (somewhere) I've got 240 left over. If you want to pay for the postage you are welcome to some.

Comment

Do you still have the centre roof bar install, if yes, does it also lift up out of the frame?

Comment

Big pop rivets in use on folded frame
              IMG_1168.JPG

Comment

Bit drastic riveting Velcro tape to frame, my Velcro tape stick fine and has done since 2006.
                I was a bit alarmed when I took the car out with the roof up as it bowed out as your pics and the centre cross bar came out of its frame.
                Solved the problem by adding additional retainers to the hood either side of the centre retainer and securing the cross bar in the frame by drilling a hole in the side frame and installing peg on each end off the cross bar.
                When the hood is down, the frame is loose just held in the hood by the retainers, when putting the hood up - just before fully up I locate the pegs into the frame and then secure the hood, hood still bows up but is firmly held in place and the Velcro does it job with no water leaks.
                I have taken pics of this mod and will post once main computer is open (on iPad)

Comment

You must have had industrial strength glue on your velcro. Mine peeled off the frame as soon as the put down again.

Comment

5DD7235F-12C3-488F-9B6E-6C36383AE012.jpeg97F78725-5230-48EC-BF73-52C166FAD76A.jpeg8C60B0F6-538F-4199-A84F-F01F077DB5C9.jpegBD702C49-280F-48FF-BA68-1A2D95B8EEA5.jpeg
                    Here are the pics

Comment

Working...
                    X