Rear Axle Ford Replacement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rear Axle Ford Replacement.

I finally got the bearing off with a combination of cutting grinding and splitting which has enabled me to remove the backplate and leave the shaft over the weekend with 6 tons in a press.

The bearing and seal references are as follows; Outer Seal W18513125R4 (metal cased), Bearing N9661A , Inner Seal MM2647. Hope this is of some help to others.

Comment

Well it's a story in two halves. The hub and shaft I took to the agricultural engineers is finally apart. Their press maxed out and it didn't move so they heated it cherry red and chucked it in a trough of water. It then came apart, however I'm not sure how that leaves the temper of shaft and hub ?

On a hunch I got a Triumph Spitfire rear hub and compared that to a Marina with a vernier, all the important dimensions are the same and I have attached some photos.

By a stroke of luck I found a Caterham modified Marina axle which had just been fully rebuilt for the price of an exchange diff. It has a full width web reinforcement but I have had to cut off the coil spring mounts.The ratio is 3.64 or 40:11. I have fitted this with Cortina 12mm plus one inch wheel studs which tapped straight in. Again there should be a photo.[ATTACH]1035620180908_093048_001.jpg20180908_093116.jpg20180908_093206.jpg20180908_094452.jpg
      Attached Files

Comment

If the shaft and hub have only been heated to cherry red they should not be affected. The shaft and hub were probably heated to far higher temperatures to provide the strength and hardness required. Heating to Cherry red only tempers the whole.

Comment

Originally posted by djj_engineer View Post
          If the shaft and hub have only been heated to cherry red they should not be affected. The shaft and hub were probably heated to far higher temperatures to provide the strength and hardness required. Heating to Cherry red only tempers the whole.

Depending on the exact composition of the relative steels, and the hub will be different to the shaft it’s difficult to specify exactly what significant changes have occurred but:

Heating to cherry red (820°C) and chucked in a bucket of water is generally a hardening cycle.

Heating to around 200°C light straw to 350°C light blue, and cooling in still air, is a tempering cycle.

That is unless my engineering apprenticeship was a complete waste of time!
          MOC member since 05/97
          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by velovol View Post
            By a stroke of luck I found a Caterham modified Marina axle which had just been fully rebuilt for the price of an exchange diff. It has a full width web reinforcement but I have had to cut off the coil spring mounts.The ratio is 3.64 or 40:11. I have fitted this with Cortina 12mm plus one inch wheel studs which tapped straight in.
            Shame you didn’t find a full Rakeway converted axle, the ultimate holy grail of Marina back axles.

MOC member since 05/97
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Very glad to have the re-assurance on the temper of the half shaft in particular. I thought it would be O.K but you can't help having a nagging doubt.

I had a look at the Rakeway axle and it's a lovely bit of work, sadly probably not called for with my standard MGB power though.

Comment

Originally posted by velovol View Post
                Very glad to have the re-assurance on the temper of the half shaft in particular. I thought it would be O.K but you can't help having a nagging doubt.

I had a look at the Rakeway axle and it's a lovely bit of work, sadly probably not called for with my standard MGB power though.
                i think you missed my post

Depending on the exact composition of the relative steels, and the hub will be different to the shaft it’s difficult to specify exactly what significant changes have occurred but:

Heating to cherry red (820°C) and chucked in a bucket of water is generally a hardening cycle.

Heating to around 200°C light straw to 350°C light blue, and cooling in still air, is a tempering cycle.

That is unless my engineering apprenticeship was a complete waste of time!

MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Working...
                X