Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Towbar

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. #1 Towbar 
    regular forum contributor
    Having just acquired a rather lovely Hunter Iíd like to fit a towbar so I can fit a rear rack such as the Thule 949 easy base in order to occasionally carry touring / camping kit. Iíve done a forum search and it would appear there is a drawing somewhere, does anybody have a copy or better still an actual towbar going spare?
    The fly in the ointment is that it looks as if for a post 1998 vehicle the towbar has to be type approved, my car is 1998, I may have to wing that one!

Many thanks.

2. #2 Re: Towbar 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    When you get a Spanish ITV, they take a picture of the rear of your car.
    A towbar automatically attracts extra attention.

On several of my towing vehicles I have had a front tow ball fitted, great for final positioning of a trailer, you can see where itís going so much better.

How that works in Spain, or the UK I have no idea.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

3. #3 Re: Towbar 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Regardless of the power and weight of the towing vehicle, in the UK, if you are running on a medically restricted license you are restricted to towing up to 750kgs. I am guessing but I wouldn't be at all surprised if that restriction holds true for an aged restricted license, namely 70 years young!

4. #4 Re: Towbar 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member peterboat's Avatar
    Think its 2001 onwards is the date for the towbars according to my mate who fits loads

5. #5 Re: Towbar 
    This extract from a tow bar manufacturer on the internet is quite clear.

ďDirective 94/20/EC became compulsory under EU legislation in 1998. If your vehicle was registered from August 31st 1988 or onwards and you are using a tow bar that does not conform to Directive 94/20/EC you will be taking certain risks. Insurance cover may be affected; there is also the potential pitfall of prosecution under the Construction & Use Regulations Act, as well as safety issues due to using an unapproved product.Ē

if you came across an extra efficient Plod, you might be faced with other problems. The vehicle manufacturer must declare his vehicle being suitable to fit a tow bar from very specific points, then the recommended trailer weights will form part of the VIN plate, without which it is assumed that you cannot fit a tow bar legally.

By definition this is forum talk, the best idea would be to consult a Euro approved tow bar manufacturer, and apparently your doctor, before taking significant action.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

6. #6 Re: Towbar 
    Do you mean 31st August 1998? I don't think its retrospective back to 1988.

7. #7 Re: Towbar 
    Quote Originally Posted by lizbillings View Post
    Do you mean 31st August 1998? I don't think its retrospective back to 1988.
    i mean nothing but...

By definition this is forum talk, the best idea would be to consult a Euro approved tow bar manufacturer, and apparently your doctor, before taking significant action.

Your choice!
    MOC member since 05/97

8. #8 Re: Towbar 
    MOC member since 05/97

9. #9 Re: Towbar 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member Blue Marlin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keith_h View Post
    Regardless of the power and weight of the towing vehicle, in the UK, if you are running on a medically restricted license you are restricted to towing up to 750kgs. I am guessing but I wouldn't be at all surprised if that restriction holds true for an aged restricted license, namely 70 years young!
    I am on a 3 year medically restricted licence and I can drive a vehicle up to 3500kg and tow a trailer of up to 3500kg. A driving licence check on th DVLA website, www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence should tell you all you need to know.

Derek
    Last edited by Blue Marlin; 06-09-2018 at 08:16 PM. Reason: typo
    Stumbling around in the dark
    Marina based SWB roadster
    Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

10. #10 Re: Towbar 
    I am confused , not unusual but, a: What has Spain got to do with it? b: What has a medical restriction to do with it ? c: if it is only to hang a rack on is it actually a 'towbar/ball or just a' fixing point'?