Towbar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towbar

Having just acquired a rather lovely Hunter I’d like to fit a towbar so I can fit a rear rack such as the Thule 949 easy base in order to occasionally carry touring / camping kit. I’ve done a forum search and it would appear there is a drawing somewhere, does anybody have a copy or better still an actual towbar going spare?
    The fly in the ointment is that it looks as if for a post 1998 vehicle the towbar has to be type approved, my car is 1998, I may have to wing that one!

Many thanks.

Re: Towbar

When you get a Spanish ITV, they take a picture of the rear of your car.
    A towbar automatically attracts extra attention.

On several of my towing vehicles I have had a front tow ball fitted, great for final positioning of a trailer, you can see where it’s going so much better.

How that works in Spain, or the UK I have no idea.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Regardless of the power and weight of the towing vehicle, in the UK, if you are running on a medically restricted license you are restricted to towing up to 750kgs. I am guessing but I wouldn't be at all surprised if that restriction holds true for an aged restricted license, namely 70 years young!

Comment

Think its 2001 onwards is the date for the towbars according to my mate who fits loads

Comment

This extract from a tow bar manufacturer on the internet is quite clear.

“Directive 94/20/EC became compulsory under EU legislation in 1998. If your vehicle was registered from August 31st 1988 or onwards and you are using a tow bar that does not conform to Directive 94/20/EC you will be taking certain risks. Insurance cover may be affected; there is also the potential pitfall of prosecution under the Construction & Use Regulations Act, as well as safety issues due to using an unapproved product.”

if you came across an extra efficient Plod, you might be faced with other problems. The vehicle manufacturer must declare his vehicle being suitable to fit a tow bar from very specific points, then the recommended trailer weights will form part of the VIN plate, without which it is assumed that you cannot fit a tow bar legally.

By definition this is forum talk, the best idea would be to consult a Euro approved tow bar manufacturer, and apparently your doctor, before taking significant action.
          MOC member since 05/97
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Do you mean 31st August 1998? I don't think its retrospective back to 1988.

Comment

Originally posted by lizbillings View Post
              Do you mean 31st August 1998? I don't think its retrospective back to 1988.
              i mean nothing but...

By definition this is forum talk, the best idea would be to consult a Euro approved tow bar manufacturer, and apparently your doctor, before taking significant action.

Your choice!
              MOC member since 05/97

Comment

MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Originally posted by keith_h View Post
                  Regardless of the power and weight of the towing vehicle, in the UK, if you are running on a medically restricted license you are restricted to towing up to 750kgs. I am guessing but I wouldn't be at all surprised if that restriction holds true for an aged restricted license, namely 70 years young!
                  I am on a 3 year medically restricted licence and I can drive a vehicle up to 3500kg and tow a trailer of up to 3500kg. A driving licence check on th DVLA website, www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence should tell you all you need to know.

Derek
                  Last edited by Blue Marlin; 06-09-18, 08:16 PM. Reason: typo
                  Stumbling around in the dark
                  Marina based SWB roadster
                  Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

I am confused , not unusual but, a: What has Spain got to do with it? b: What has a medical restriction to do with it ? c: if it is only to hang a rack on is it actually a 'towbar/ball or just a' fixing point'?

Comment

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
                      I am confused , not unusual but, a: What has Spain got to do with it? b: What has a medical restriction to do with it ? c: if it is only to hang a rack on is it actually a 'towbar/ball or just a' fixing point'?
                      I only use it as an example, Spain seems to take towbars more seriously, their presence means they take a photographic record and check that the bar and it’s fitting complies with the EU standards and the Vin plate of the vehicle.

They also treat trailers over 750kg as essentially a separate vehicle that carries its own individual registration plate and is separately tested, as well as the towing towing vehicle when on the move. A trailer of 750kg or less is not registered or inspected.
                      Does the UK do a similar scheme where trailers over 750kg attract a form of MOT inspection.

It is my understanding that this is EU wide policy, the exception being as in many things, the UK who apparently take less notice.

The UK I believe however do require that if something like a Smart Car is towed on a trailer behind a camper van for instance, the trailer must carry the number plate of the towing vehicle with the Smart Cars registration obstructed.

For medical restrictions, check your driving licence, your doctor or the DVLA.
                      MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Lots of interesting ( or not!) stuff about regulations but no dimensions of a tow bar. I’ve pulled these pictures off the forum and together with details in the original builders manual I can work out what to do. All I really need is the drop distance ie how far below the bumper bars the horizontal bar sits. Thanks. D8BCB407-7B96-4200-82F6-1D4BA99BC6B6.jpegA71FB081-EC45-4F8E-80FB-A75F4ED5497B.jpeg
                        Last edited by jhaines; 11-09-18, 05:25 PM.

Comment

I would think the important dimension is the tow ball height. I found this on the web:
                          The EC Directive 94/20/EC (The standard that all towbars are designed to) states that the tow ball height should be between 350 and 420mm from the ground with the vehicle in a 'laden' state. The 'laden' state means when the vehicle is loaded with passengers and luggage.

Towball Heights? My towball is too high? My towball is too low? What height should my caravan be? Towbar Express® your local towbar fitters. 1000+ Reviews!

The full 65 page directive can be found here:

Sorry I would read it but I have better things to do right now.
                          Paul

Comment

Ok whilst searching for something else found a note re towbar,

Height from top of crosspiece to top of mounting sleeve(ie with a straight bar resting on the 2 x sleeves) which fit over bumper supports --- 165mm
                            Crosspiece length with hitch holes --- 650mm
                            Square tube --- 40 x 40mm

Suggestion is also noted that a strengthening bar be fitted from the crosspiece to a bracket which would mount on the rear face of the diff -- would be to stop / reduce twist on the bar!

Hope the above is useful!
                            Last edited by Tony Stott; 12-09-18, 07:18 AM.

Comment

You should also be aware that the rear bumper struts are designed to crumple. This is from the Cabrio manual:

The struts are designed to collapse progressively when a load of 5000kg per strut is exceeded. The outer tube will buckle to form a series of convolutions whilst the inner tube slides into the chassis socket. For towing or being towed it is necessary to prevent the struts from being withdrawn.

My struts are held in with M6 bolts that I think could fail given a good tug on a fairly big trailer. You should check your fixings and strengthen if required.

I bet you thought this was going to be a simple task.
                              Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X