Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: steering wheel shake

Originally posted by Alan c View Post
    I have similar problem I would also be interetsed in thoughts.

I did have non concentric wheel spacers - replaced them and it helped a bit.
    I had this problem on a roadster I owned a few years ago.
    Eventually traced it to the wheel spacers.
    I removed them and the fault went away.
    The wheel and tyre combination I had on the car allowed me to do this without binding on anything. Your set up may be different, but it's worth checking.

Comment

This really belongs in another magnum opus about wheels.

On a Marina hub with 3/16” UNF studs, non concentric spacers rely on the studs to locate the wheel and hold it central.

There are 7/16” UNF studs available from a Dolomite that are more suitable, but still not ideal with non concentric spacers.

Frankly I think spacers are dangerous things, moving the tyre further outboard of the hub bearing centreline, inducing more strain on the bearing/bearings shortening their life significantly.
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I had this problem with my Roadster fitted with MGF wheels. I could not get the wheels to centralise on the Marina studs. I had wheel wobble at 60 mph. I had a friend who is a whizz on a lathe make up small spacers that slotted over the studs and the wheels are now a snug fit. No more wobble.

Comment

I would want to check the rims for possible run out due say to damage by previous owner. You don’t need any fancy equipment, just jack up the wheel and use an axle stand, a lump of blu tak and a knitting needle with the point next to the rim. If you spin the wheel you will see any distortion.

You could also try swapping the front wheels to the rear and see if the problem is still there. If it is then repeat the run out check on the front hub flange with the wheel and disc* removed. With this check a dial indicator would be best as the movement will be smaller on the smaller diameter.

Note* If the hubs check out ok then make sure their faces and the mating disc faces are scraped free of any foreign deposits as those will also give disc run out similar to warped discs.

Comment

I have been laid up with a bad cold for a week but I think this weekend I will start following up on the many suggestions
            Thanks
            Michael

Comment

Working...
            X