• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project on eBay - early model, no doors

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/marlin-sp...wAAOSwQS1bm~VU

s-l1600.jpg

Classified ad with £2,000 asking price

Re: Project on eBay - early model, no doors

Not far off usable by the look of it. How does it keep cool with no louvers?

Comment

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
      Not far off usable by the look of it. How does it keep cool with no louvers?
      In my case it's a 1200 engine combined with a Gt6 radiator, electric fan, good thermostat and an overflow tank ! Not overheated yet .. However main issue for me is temperature of air into carbs, could do with being a tad cooler on hot days.
      Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
      Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Comment

My sons mk1 with a 1500 engine and matched radiator with mechanical fan has no louvres, seems to behave OK
        Attached Files
        Last edited by b_caswell; 17-09-18, 10:48 PM.
        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Posted wrong picture
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 928cdu View Post
            In my case it's a 1200 engine combined with a Gt6 radiator, electric fan, good thermostat and an overflow tank ! Not overheated yet .. However main issue for me is temperature of air into carbs, could do with being a tad cooler on hot days.
            I have just fitted a carbon fibre air filter, not sure how effective it is in really hot weather but has to be a whole lot better than what I replaced.

Comment

My sons car uses the original standard air box and cold air intake pipes feeding from in front of the rad sorry about the pic

did it yesterday but cant seem to upload the shot of the air box at the moment.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by b_caswell; 18-09-18, 10:01 AM.

Comment

SAM_0312 (2).JPG

Hopefully this is the pic of the air box YEH dunnit

Comment

Lovely job ,but the other is a 6 cylinder I just wondered how that works.

Comment

Getting back to the red car at start of the thread.

There's an underneath shot where the drive shaft appears to be resting on the chassis member, or is that just a very close fit anyway on this model?

Pic here as well...

s-l1600-14.jpg
                    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

It was a close call on the Triumph chassis which had a little dink in the rail to miss the drive shaft but the gap depended on the return bump stop in the shock absorber. .

If that shaft was coming into contact with the chassis I would expect to see a witness mark around the drive shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
                        Lovely job ,but the other is a 6 cylinder I just wondered how that works.
                        With the right radiator it should be OK . Seems strange that the car was originally 1300cc as only the 2L GT6 and Vitesse had the rotoflex rear drive shafts??
                        Just hope it has the bigger 2L front brakes to go with the engine.

Comment

What do you think is a good price to offer on this one? £2k seems a tad high.
                          - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                          - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                          - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Depends on your perception of value. This specific car was recently sold on eBay for £870. The buyer has literally just screwed the number plates to the car and possibly given it a wash and then put it straight back on eBay for £2000.
                            The value of a car is usually decided by the buying public and is only worth whatever someone wants to pay for it.
                            eBay marlin MK1.JPG

https://ebay.us/5ZUnar
                            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
                            - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

I hadn't realised it was recently for sale but looking at that picture you posted now I do recall seeing it.

At least it's registered as a Marlin, if still registered as a 1296cc, but no MOT history which is odd.

I was thinking £800-900 given the amount of work needed, which appears to be everything!

Maybe one to steer clear of unless the owner is on here and can give some more detail?

Comment

Working...
                              X