Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Drive shafts

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. #11 Re: Drive shafts 

Thanks Danny, but I was thinking of the ones that can be stretched over the CV using a cone.

2. #12 Re: Drive shafts 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    The 'split' type in my experience do work as long as everything is really clean but not terribly long lasting . OK as a short term fix.
    Personally I'd rather remove a couple of circlips than try and fit those stretchy over a cone type, seem to be a real pain in the a--.

3. #13 Re: Drive shafts 
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff b View Post
    Hi, a recent MOT revealed that the CV gaiters on my Cabrio are showing signs of failure, although the CVs are probably OK.
    Has anyone had experience of fitting new gaiters without dismantling the shafts? The adverts suggest it is possible, but it doesn't look easy.
    You can buy a kit of stretchy boots and a cone which you slide the boot up and over the cv joint. It works well.

4. #14 Re: Drive shafts 
    Quote Originally Posted by A_Hogg View Post
    The 'split' type in my experience do work as long as everything is really clean but not terribly long lasting . OK as a short term fix.
    Personally I'd rather remove a couple of circlips than try and fit those stretchy over a cone type, seem to be a real pain in the a--.
    I would agree here, if you have taken the time to remove the hub to get to the driveshaft it’s not much more work to remove the cv joint, once you know where the circlips are, also opportunity to clean up the old grease.
    1275 Marina/Ital based LWB Roadster in the process of a ground up rebuild.

5. #15 Re: Drive shafts 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member greyV8pete's Avatar
    The stretchy boots with cone applicator were originally for the Tripode type drive shafts. Dismantling that type required cutting and stripping off the outer tin can type cover plus boot and replacing with a servive kit. I bought one for my Sierra years ago but ended up getting a complete drive shaft from a breakers yard. It’s the stronger Lobro drive shafts with bolt on flanges that have the circlips. Peter.

6. #16 Re: Drive shafts 

Thanks folks. I have the tripod, tin can version, so I will remove them at the end of the summer and decide if it is to be stretchy boots or new shafts, which seem to be available at various prices.