Drive shafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive shafts

My kit (Marlin Cabrio LWB) is based on a Sierra 2l GLSi fitted with discs all round, looking for somewhere where I can get the drive shafts reconditioned or new ones, all ideas out there

Re: Drive shafts

This Contract will be governed by English law and you consent to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts in all matters regarding it. LAW AND JURISDICTION. Depletion of goodwill. loss of profit;.

I got Sierra drive shafts and CV joints from this company on ebay. Beware that there are at least four different lengths of shaft (Granada are similar but slightly longer, also left and right differ in length). There are also push in or bolt on CV joints. Scott.

Comment

Originally posted by scott h View Post
      https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F132213135653

I got Sierra drive shafts and CV joints from this company on ebay. Beware that there are at least four different lengths of shaft (Granada are similar but slightly longer, also left and right differ in length). There are also push in or bolt on CV joints. Scott.
      Also be aware that the bolt on Lobro Sierra ones are 100mm diameter whereas the cosworth are 108mm!

Comment

I also bought complete shafts from the same company as Scott for my last Cabrio . Good price and the quality seemed to be ok.
        As already stated be sure to get the right lengths.

Comment

How do measure to get the correct length?

Comment

CPS- Drive link in Gateshead make _drive shafts in the UK and also sell imported Chinese shafts similar to those sold on E Bay

Comment

Originally posted by stewartdjones View Post
              How do measure to get the correct length?
              You will probably find that the shafts are fine and any wear is in the joints themselves. So I would suggest that you remove the shafts from the car and dismantle them. Then you can check the shafts for wear, and if you still want new ones you can measure them. I made the mistake of assuming that if I purchased complete shafts and joints it would save me faffing about assembling them, but they arrived as a kit. So with hindsight I would have only purchased joints and boots. Scott.

Comment

Hi, a recent MOT revealed that the CV gaiters on my Cabrio are showing signs of failure, although the CVs are probably OK.
                Has anyone had experience of fitting new gaiters without dismantling the shafts? The adverts suggest it is possible, but it doesn't look easy.

Comment

You could always try sierrasrus.co.uk

Comment

Hi Geoff There is a kit you can buy with split gaiters and an( epoxy type glue ) to solvent weld that are pretty good if you do not wish to strip the shafts.

Comment

Thanks Danny, but I was thinking of the ones that can be stretched over the CV using a cone.

Comment

The 'split' type in my experience do work as long as everything is really clean but not terribly long lasting . OK as a short term fix.
                        Personally I'd rather remove a couple of circlips than try and fit those stretchy over a cone type, seem to be a real pain in the a--.

Comment

Originally posted by geoff b View Post
                          Hi, a recent MOT revealed that the CV gaiters on my Cabrio are showing signs of failure, although the CVs are probably OK.
                          Has anyone had experience of fitting new gaiters without dismantling the shafts? The adverts suggest it is possible, but it doesn't look easy.
                          You can buy a kit of stretchy boots and a cone which you slide the boot up and over the cv joint. It works well.

Comment

Originally posted by A_Hogg View Post
                            The 'split' type in my experience do work as long as everything is really clean but not terribly long lasting . OK as a short term fix.
                            Personally I'd rather remove a couple of circlips than try and fit those stretchy over a cone type, seem to be a real pain in the a--.
                            I would agree here, if you have taken the time to remove the hub to get to the driveshaft it’s not much more work to remove the cv joint, once you know where the circlips are, also opportunity to clean up the old grease.

Comment

The stretchy boots with cone applicator were originally for the Tripode type drive shafts. Dismantling that type required cutting and stripping off the outer tin can type cover plus boot and replacing with a servive kit. I bought one for my Sierra years ago but ended up getting a complete drive shaft from a breakers yard. It’s the stronger Lobro drive shafts with bolt on flanges that have the circlips. Peter.

Comment

Working...
                              X