Flasher unit for indicators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flasher unit for indicators

One problem gets fixed only for another one to take its place...

My indicators have stopped working. It is a new switch unit , barely 6 months old. Everything worked fine until I got caught in a downpour (which may or may not have been a coincidence) in Glasgow. I have checked 5 of the 6 bulbs and all are good so far, working on the last one. I haven't checked the green dash bezel light bulbs; I'll do those too yet. I am beginning to suspect it might be the flasher unit; it is probably nearly 40 years old and most other parts have either been replaced or are showing signs they ought to be, I have the Haynes Marina handbook but although it describes it, there's no photograph & I don't know what it would look like. I imagine its in the relay block in a really awkward place to get to as I can't remove the dash... My plan is to follow the wires through the loom and see where they go and keep checking until I find where and why the circuit is no longer live... All the feed and return wires to all 6 bulbs are pretty awful. They ought to be replaced with new wires and I might just do that as I know it'll bite me one day if I don't.
    Coming back from Glasgow to turn or bear right I had to stick my right arm out and the Mrs did likewise for left..

Re: Flasher unit for indicators

My Dad did say today that he thought it was round cylinder shaped... Hmm.

Comment

If it’s the original Marina wiring loom then you should have a flasher unit for the indicators and one for the hazards, as in the pic below.
      I am installing a new wiring loom from PWS and the flasher is an all in one relay type so these are surplus, don’t know if they work though.

5063FB95-C377-40EF-B4D3-4D9DD8B7B57F.jpeg

Comment

Do you have hazards?
        The old school turning signals. Right arm out for turning right and right arm waving up and down for turning left.
        Last edited by meverett; 01-10-18, 07:05 PM.

Comment

You can use either the rectangular flasher units or the round tin can and just not use the third terminal on it, same as on the early mini's. If you have a hazard warning switch fitted they are notoriously troublesome . So after checking& rotating your glass fuses in the holder . Next carefully move the connector at the back of the hazard switch. I say carefully, because they can easily come apart and a spring and copper contact can then fly out. Also adjust the position of the rocker, as there are contacts inside that get pitted and they will then interrupt the indicator circuit.
          Fortunately with a Marlin Roadster if you have the roof off, you can point with your left arm arm left, as the car behind would see you ok.
          Hope that helps
          Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; 01-10-18, 07:36 PM.

Comment

I never even thought about trying the hazard switch! That seems an obvious idea!
            I'll do it tomorrow morning...

Comment

Hazard switch works fine, all lights flashing.

Comment

Well if your hazards work , the bulb & wiring surrounding them are ok.
                I have had with mine that when you switch them off, the switch needs an extra push so as to make the contacts work for the indicators, so give that a try.

The next things to try are:

1)You can test the indicator flasher unit off the car by connecting it to a 12v positive via a 21w bulb and earth the other terminal to the negative supply.

2) alternatively photograph the wire order on each relay and swap the indicator & hazard relay around and see what you have.

Comment

Originally posted by meverett View Post
                  Do you have hazards?
                  The old school turning signals. Right arm out for turning right and right arm waving up and down for turning left.
                  Waving up and down was slowing down,
                  rotating the hand clockwise on an extended right arm was turning left,
                  holding your hand upright in front of you indicated to a Police Officer on Point that you was going straight ahead.
                  Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Have you found your flasher units yet. The chances are that both of them are in the immediate area of the steering column area as they were on a Marina.
                    Both look similar. Check which one is the Hazards by turning them on, and feeling for the click.
                    MOC member since 05/97
                    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by b_caswell View Post
                      Waving up and down was slowing down,
                      rotating the hand clockwise on an extended right arm was turning left,
                      holding your hand upright in front of you indicated to a Police Officer on Point that you was going straight ahead.
                      Doh! I did know the hand signals when I passed my test, honestly :-)
                      Unfortunately nowadays it’s a different type of hand signals on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                        Have you found your flasher units yet. The chances are that both of them are in the immediate area of the steering column area as they were on a Marina.
                        Both look similar. Check which one is the Hazards by turning them on, and feeling for the click.
                        When I stripped my Roadster the units were on the bulkhead under the bonnet.
                        They should however be in the same place together where ever they are so if your hazard unit is working you should be able to trace it by listening for the ticking.

Comment

Ok, I have found the faulty flasher unit, swapped over the identical one for the hazards and the indicators now work fine. I now have to source a replacement unit. It has 3 pins not 2. I looked at all 3 I found on eBay and all 3 have 2 pins. It is square not round. I took the numbers off it and put them into google and up pops a similar item from an electrical wholesaler... in Mumbai.
                          Pic attached, what are your thoughts? At least I can drive the car again - albeit without hazard lights, I don't remember ever actually using them in this car. However I would like to replace the 'hazard' unit asap...
                          Attached Files

Comment

I looked for a flasher unit from a Classic Mini instead of a Marina and found this:

It looks very similar, the numbers are different but I think it'll do the job just fine; at least it will fit!
                            Sorted.

Comment

Try this firm http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.e...-flasher-relay

Last edited by philcoyle; 03-10-18, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X