Edinburgh Trial Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edinburgh Trial Problems

Hi there, two unrelated but equally frustrating problems that put us out of the Edinburgh Trial almost before it had started. The weather was appalling and the wipers picked that exact time to only do a partial arc of the screen, and investigation under the bonnet of the Roadster showed that the whole drive was moving, restricting the available movement of the wiper arms. Any ideas on the source of the wiper assembly please. Secondly, the rear offside shock absorber lower mounting bracket snapped in half, so game over. It's a Marina Van back axle, but I am hoping this may be a part shared by other models, and would appreciate any potential sources please?
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions, Cheers

Re: Edinburgh Trial Problems

The wipers would normally be the Marina or Triumph system with the rack tubes modified. If the whole mechanism is moving then the tube has come out of either the motor drive or a wheel box. Probably due to the inner rack not being free in the tubes.

The van axle(along with the estate uses a heavy duty lower shock absorber plate of a similar design to the saloon. If the car was modified at a later date to a trials car it maybe the lower plate could be from a saloon anyway.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b_caswell View Post
      The wipers would normally be the Marina or Triumph system with the rack tubes modified. If the whole mechanism is moving then the tube has come out of either the motor drive or a wheel box. Probably due to the inner rack not being free in the tubes.

The van axle(along with the estate uses a heavy duty lower shock absorber plate of a similar design to the saloon. If the car was modified at a later date to a trials car it maybe the lower plate could be from a saloon anyway.
      Thanks for that, I believe that the Car has spent its whole life Trialling, having been built with that intention, so it's probably a heavy duty one that has snapped! Any ideas on availability, or will I have to get something fabricated?
      Cheers

Comment

From the parts book it looks like the van version is chunkier but without two side by side its difficult to tell. Either way your looking for rocking horse poo.

Could you not weld up and reinforce your one?

Or find another application such as a 4x4 etc. Next problem you will have is getting the U bolts undone without
        snapping them.

If your car is trials I assume you don't have the lowering block. Which means you should be able to find a suitable replacement U bolt.
        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

24E97A83-A412-4E43-BF50-1AF38EF2E250.jpeg

E06B72ED-8423-4AF4-B18C-9FC279DC0223.jpeg

These what you are looking for? Not sure if these are van or car versions.

Comment

Hi meverett, yes those are exactly what I mean, as has already been mentioned don't really know how to tell van or car, but at least they are in one piece!! Are that pair available, or have you just been kind enough to post to clarify exactly what it was I was looking for? Many thanks, Howard

Comment

Hi Ben, thanks for taking the trouble to reply again. Was already thinking it may be a weld and repair or fabrication job, and like you was thinking that the U bolts may not survive the exercise, but somehow think that may be the lesser of the problems! Cheers Howard

Comment

Hi Howard,
                Had these in my spare parts bin knowing they will come in handy sometime and at times of need this is what the MOC is for.
                Send me a pm with your address and we can work something out.
                Cheers, Martin.

Comment

Hi Martin
                  Have sent you a PM but just wanted to give you a public huge thank you for taking the time and trouble to reply and literally come up with the goods!
                  Cheers Howard

Comment

Hi Howard,
                    I sent you a pm reply and you are welcome. Happy to help a fellow Marliner.
                    Cheers, Martin.

Comment

Working...
                    X