Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wing piping

Hi,
    Looking to remove wings and fit some wing piping to my roadster... poor thing has never had any ..

It comes in a range of different sizes (bead size & flange depth) .

Can anyone recommend a size that fits the bill for the roadster please ? ... not sure if it was part of the original kit ..?
    Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
    Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Re: Wing piping

probably wasn't supplied with the Mk1 kit.

Just measured an off cut and its 1/4 inch(app 7mm) hollow bead with a 1 1/4inch(30mm) tail.

I think you will have fun trying to get the old fixings undone it may pay to get new M6 replacements.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b_caswell View Post
      http://www.dugdalevms.com/www/body%2...g%20Piping.htm

probably wasn't supplied with the Mk1 kit.

Just measured an off cut and its 1/4 inch(app 7mm) hollow bead with a 1 1/4inch(30mm) tail.

I think you will have fun trying to get the old fixings undone it may pay to get new M6 replacements.
      Thanks Ben !
      Yes I agree ,I have bought all new stainless M6 bolts in preparation ... the originals were zinc flat headed m6 screws, they'll be fun to remove ..!

BR .. Richard

Comment

When I was stripping down my Berlinetta, some of the bolts were so difficult to remove that I ended up buying a dremmel as the only tool suited to the tight confines. I think I now have shares in a stainless fixing company for the rebuild!

Comment

Originally posted by 928cdu View Post
          Thanks Ben !
          Yes I agree ,I have bought all new stainless M6 bolts in preparation ... the originals were zinc flat headed m6 screws, they'll be fun to remove ..!

BR .. Richard
          Be careful mixing stainless and mild steel galvanic effect is not good when the meet.

Comment

Originally posted by stevepritch View Post
            Be careful mixing stainless and mild steel galvanic effect is not good when the meet.
            Thanks Steve, I've learnt something new... although I'd heard about steel & ali before.

I'll be using S/S Nyloc nuts, bolts, penny washers all the way. From memory they'll need to pass thru the aluminium side panels & GRP only.

ATB .. Rich

Comment

Thanks, I was going to ask the same question as I am nearly ready to fit the running boards. Saved that as a bookmark.

Comment

You may wish to consider using an anti-corrosive jointing compound . This was standard practice during my RAF service and affectionately known by us 'riggers' as 'Parrot Sh--' due to it's colour!

Product such as Duralac should do the job .

Comment

I was thinking of using a bonding sealant like Sikaflex but that would be a pain in the **rear to get them off if I ever needed to.

Comment

Not wishing to pour cold water on the idea of using stainless fastenings through mild steel and aluminium but being in the marine business I would not recommend this as you will be building in ready made corrosion.

Stainless is fine through other stainless or fibreglass and wood, perspex etc. Duralac is a good standard jointing compound when using stainless into alloys but is not a guarantee of no corrosion. Apart from being expensive

it's also carcinogenic etc so needs gloves and careful handling. A good alternative is to use PTFE tape on threads which acts as a barrier. Overall you are best off with normal zinc plated steel.

Comment

My experience when stripping my Berlinetta after 20 years was that the stainless fixings came off easily. On the other hand the zinc plated mild steel fixings mostly had to be cut off, sometimes with slight damage to the part being removed.

Comment

After 29 yrs, I'll second that. Stop worrying about it, they will outlast you and still be OK

Comment

Oops all mine are stainless.

Oh well not going back now.

Adrian

Originally posted by h_m_cumming View Post
                          After 29 yrs, I'll second that. Stop worrying about it, they will outlast you and still be OK

Comment

Richard, Ben & Adrian
                            I can highly recommend the following company for all of your trimming needs, as they manufacture the items and have been supplying the automotive industry for years.

Most items can be bough by the metre, so its not necessary to buy a 50m roll

The Wing rubber trim is almost the size Ben has advised on (1/4" is 6.35mm).

ie"Plastic Wing Piping

Sized: 1/4" diameter x 1.25" flange. Ribbed

Coil Length: 50 metres

Colour: Black"

Maker of Plastic Wing Piping, Fenderwelt, Anti squeak piping to the Automotive trade. Wholesale inquiries welcome.

Hope this helps all fellow Marliner's for the difficult to source trimming part.

As you will be buying direct from the manufacturer the prices will be hopefully competitive.
                            Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; 18-10-18, 01:10 PM.

Comment

East Kent Trim Supplies
                              Last edited by stevejgreen; 18-10-18, 01:45 PM.
                              MOC member since 05/97
                              1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                              Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Working...
                              X