Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of a Roadster

Hello,

I've just rejoined the owners club after a gap of about 7 or 8 years. Back in the early 1990's I built Cabrio Moorhouse chassis no. 44, which I sold in July 2011. CRN540Y where are you? It had morfed from 2.0 Pinto to a 2.8 Cologne V6 with unleaded heads before I sold it and was sprayed in Plymouth Blue mica metallic - there is a picture in the gallery which wasn't taken in my ownership.

Since then I've been lucky enough to own a variety of daft cars, and the garage currently holds a 1999 Caterham 7 1600VX Classic. The 7 is fantastic to drive, but after 3 years I'm thinking its not the best car for the condition of the B roads around my area of Lancashire - Trough of Bowland, Pendle Hill, etc.. The roads aren't exactly billiard table smooth and I'm beginning to feel guilty thrashing one of Chapman's finest wafer thin lightweight chassis over the tops to Bentham.

I also quite fancy a go at trialing at some point. So my thoughts are turning toward a Roadster - a Cabrio/Hunter/Sportser being a bit lumpy for trailing. I'm thinking Marina based, probably 1800 TC (I built a Pilgrim Bulldog as a 17 year old back in 1987-88, and it was an A-series 1275cc - great engine to learn on but I can afford twin carb 1800 insurance premiums now), but a Fiat /Lancia DOHC is also accepted by the ACTC for a class 7 car, so I would also consider that if one came up.

I have a couple of questions

I'm 5'10" and around 13 stone with a 36" waist - will I fit in a SWB or do I need a LWB? Also, the original bucket seats look a tad spartan - my back isn't what it used to be so is it possible to squeeze in something with a bit more comfort?

If I take the plunge, I'm not looking for a total rebuild - I have 4 year old and 9 year old daughters that require a lot of ferrying to swimming, pony club, dancing, etc. and can't afford a year or two in the garage to fettle something. A car more in need of some TLC as a running restoration would be better - but at the other end of the spectrum I don't want a minter I'm too scared to get dirty.

I did see there is an 1800 TC LWB in the classifieds in Staffs, but not having run for 20 years may be a bit too far gone for my purposes. For the same reason the uncompleted 1700 O-series near Preston is a bit too much - I put a scratchbuilt 3 wheeler special through MSVA in the 2000's and don't want to go through IVA or anything similar ever again.

Thoughts please and if anyone has a potentially worthy cause sitting a bit unloved in the garage/barn not too far from Burnley, Lancs then please let me know.
    Original builder of SWB Cabrio chassis no. 04-33 reg. no. CRN540Y - had a 2.8L Cologne V6 when I sold it in 2011
    Briefly owned Marlin Berlinetta Q670XBB for about 4 months in 2012
    Did own SWB Marian 1800TC Roadster Q741LPP - modified for trials by Fourtune Engineering
    Now own Marlin Sportster with 3.5L BMW straight six powerplant P764DOD - proof that absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Re: Thinking of a Roadster

Hi

Ok I'm 14 stone, 5' 9" and I fit easily behind the wheel of a SWB 1275. Do yourself a favour and bolt your seat to the floor as far back as poss without seat runners.

Adrian

Originally posted by acbluemarlin View Post
    Hello,

I've just rejoined the owners club after a gap of about 7 or 8 years. Back in the early 1990's I built Cabrio Moorhouse chassis no. 44, which I sold in July 2011. CRN540Y where are you? It had morfed from 2.0 Pinto to a 2.8 Cologne V6 with unleaded heads before I sold it and was sprayed in Plymouth Blue mica metallic - there is a picture in the gallery which wasn't taken in my ownership.

Since then I've been lucky enough to own a variety of daft cars, and the garage currently holds a 1999 Caterham 7 1600VX Classic. The 7 is fantastic to drive, but after 3 years I'm thinking its not the best car for the condition of the B roads around my area of Lancashire - Trough of Bowland, Pendle Hill, etc.. The roads aren't exactly billiard table smooth and I'm beginning to feel guilty thrashing one of Chapman's finest wafer thin lightweight chassis over the tops to Bentham.

I also quite fancy a go at trialing at some point. So my thoughts are turning toward a Roadster - a Cabrio/Hunter/Sportser being a bit lumpy for trailing. I'm thinking Marina based, probably 1800 TC (I built a Pilgrim Bulldog as a 17 year old back in 1987-88, and it was an A-series 1275cc - great engine to learn on but I can afford twin carb 1800 insurance premiums now), but a Fiat /Lancia DOHC is also accepted by the ACTC for a class 7 car, so I would also consider that if one came up.

I have a couple of questions

I'm 5'10" and around 13 stone with a 36" waist - will I fit in a SWB or do I need a LWB? Also, the original bucket seats look a tad spartan - my back isn't what it used to be so is it possible to squeeze in something with a bit more comfort?

If I take the plunge, I'm not looking for a total rebuild - I have 4 year old and 9 year old daughters that require a lot of ferrying to swimming, pony club, dancing, etc. and can't afford a year or two in the garage to fettle something. A car more in need of some TLC as a running restoration would be better - but at the other end of the spectrum I don't want a minter I'm too scared to get dirty.

I did see there is an 1800 TC LWB in the classifieds in Staffs, but not having run for 20 years may be a bit too far gone for my purposes. For the same reason the uncompleted 1700 O-series near Preston is a bit too much - I put a scratchbuilt 3 wheeler special through MSVA in the 2000's and don't want to go through IVA or anything similar ever again.

Thoughts please and if anyone has a potentially worthy cause sitting a bit unloved in the garage/barn not too far from Burnley, Lancs then please let me know.

Comment

Thank you - nothing like keeping it simple. However, my partner is a 5'2" slyph like midget who couldn't drive the Cabrio because her left leg couldn't operate the clutch. I would like her to be able to drive a Roadster if I bought one. I'm still convinced we only got through the 2nd date because I took her to Lytham St Annes in my first Marlin :-)
      Original builder of SWB Cabrio chassis no. 04-33 reg. no. CRN540Y - had a 2.8L Cologne V6 when I sold it in 2011
      Did own SWB Marian 1800TC Roadster Q741LPP - modified for trials by Fourtune Engineering
      Now own Marlin Sportster with 3.5L BMW straight six powerplant P764DOD - proof that absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Comment

Originally posted by acbluemarlin View Post
        Thank you - nothing like keeping it simple. However, my partner is a 5'2" slyph like midget who couldn't drive the Cabrio because her left leg couldn't operate the clutch. I would like her to be able to drive a Roadster if I bought one. I'm still convinced we only got through the 2nd date because I took her to Lytham St Annes in my first Marlin :-)
        Take Adrians advice and I'll swap partners with you, she won't get in a Marlin if it's going to move... #LOL
        - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
        - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
        - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
        - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
        - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Not that simple... She loved the Cabrio, but doesn't like the Caterham!. The two girls like the Caterham, but they've also liked the Blackjack Avion, MR2 Roadster and MX-5 - I have a bit of a car related addiction as you can tell. They never sat in the Reliant Tempest with 950cc Sunbeam engine or 3.0 V6 Berlinetta - but then I didn't much either - been, gone, moved on.

Comment

Couple more questions. As potentially trialing it is a motivator for looking at a Roadster, I've been lucky to find a fairly local Marina 1800TC powered car that has been trialed previously, and has done some work done by Fourtune Engineering. Apparently it already has a van diff, van uprights etc. and had a recon 5 bearing B series engine 9000miles ago. its not done many miles in the last few years according to the DVLA. The car is a bit battle scarred with some star cracks, crazing etc.

The car is Q741LPP, and seems to have been built in 1984. It's being sold by a local firm on behalf of a retired electrical engineer called Doug, who's reducing his collection due to age.

My questions are, does anyone know the car, is a 1984 build a MK2, does anyone still make hoods - it has a very faded hood that's wearing through over the corner of the hoop, and very worn flexible side screens - were rigid screens ever available?

Comment

Hi ? (name?)

It's always worth searching the main web site archive for a photo of a car, use the search icon next to the Forum menu link. Use the first or second group of characters in the registration mark.

I think you'll have to find a trimmer who can use your old hood and side screens as templates. There are also some good pages on here so worth a search. Someone may have something useful.

As for side screens, we all made our own Perspex, ally channel and hinges from someone like Holden Vintage & Classic.

If you have access to the members area then there are PDF versions of the club magazine with various articles on both subjects.

Hope that helps,
              David.
              - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
              - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
              - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

To complete this thread, I've completed the purchase of Q741LPP today. It is in the web site photo archive, on page 10 of 18, showing Tony Fall leaning against the car before the start of a trial. I drove the car back from Earby to Burnley today via Pendle Hill (hood off / sidescreens off) and it went very well, so I'm currently contemplating entering the Ilkley and District Motor Club Palmer Trophy Trial at Bolton Abbey on the 2nd December, which would be my first ever trial. Back in Marlin, about 7 1/2 years after selling my Cabrio - the Caterham has gone on Ebay this afternoon, as I can only just fit both in the garage.

Comment

Well done, looks like a nice car.

Comment

Working...
                  X