Roadster hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster hood

OK, I have decided to fit the hood on the roadster.

So this weekend I am hoping to do it.

The hood is new and came with the kit along with the frame, cant rail and side screens.

There is still the tissue paper on the rear and side screens

It also came with the lift the dot clips which I have a tool to fit those.

Any tips on fitting it to the cant rail would be good.

I will let you know how I get on.

Adrian

Re: Roadster hood

Good luck Adrian,
    Haven’t got a clue about fixing to the cant rail other than glued with contact adhesive. Not a lot of help I know.
    I have my old and ‘slightly’ rotten hood to use as a template for when the time comes for me and will probably be asking for your tips.
    Cheers, Martin.

Comment

I used contact adhesive on mine and it was good for years afterwards.

More recently I used similar, an automotive carpet glue, to re-glue the hood to the back of the rail which tends to get pulled around in the breeze.

I have a new full tin of it here so don’t buy any, pop over and you can ‘borrow’ it.
      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

It was a long time ago, but IIRC I fitted the Lift-the-Dots to the rear tub & base of the hood (find the middle & work outwards), then stretched the hood forward over the cant-rail...using contact adhesive to secure. Once it was dry I could then fold back the overlap into the cant rail & trim any surplus. A wedge inside, between the rail & screen surround, or locating posts on the screen surround itself help keep it all in place at speed Got a nice, snug fit which still looks OK on the very few occasions it gets used.

Measure thrice & cut once...a piece of chalk will be very useful..!
        Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
        Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_red_roadster View Post
          ...Measure thrice & cut once...a piece of chalk will be very useful..!
          ... and if you need another pair of hands give me a call.
          - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
          - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
          - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
          - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
          - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

I will fit the lift the dots first and assess from there.

Adrian

Originally posted by lil_red_roadster View Post
            It was a long time ago, but IIRC I fitted the Lift-the-Dots to the rear tub & base of the hood (find the middle & work outwards), then stretched the hood forward over the cant-rail...using contact adhesive to secure. Once it was dry I could then fold back the overlap into the cant rail & trim any surplus. A wedge inside, between the rail & screen surround, or locating posts on the screen surround itself help keep it all in place at speed Got a nice, snug fit which still looks OK on the very few occasions it gets used.

Measure thrice & cut once...a piece of chalk will be very useful..!

Comment

Thanks David I will let you know.

Adrian

Originally posted by David View Post
              ... and if you need another pair of hands give me a call.

Comment

Working...
              X