Pinto starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinto starter

When I built my berlinetta 25 years ago I started with a cortina 1600 donor then half way through the build realised that insuring 2000 wasn't going to be a problem ( mere nipper then ) so I purchased a 2 litre pinto from an auto. So I fitted the 1.6 flywheel and inertia starter. Having now done a complete rebuild I have acquired a Lucas LRS168 pre engaged starter. I have re arranged the wiring and the pinion moves and pinion rotates. I have had a vernier on both old and new starters and the pinion is the same size and number of teeth is the same. In the cranking position the pinions are the same distance from the mounting face. THEN WHY DOESNT IT TURN OVER. I have fitted and removed it 5 times now and frankly I am at the stage where my proper job is more appealing than marlineering. I can't see how with the same pinion it doesn't at least hit the flywheel somewhere. Any ideas ?

Re: Pinto starter

Pre-engaged means that the pinion is pulled into mesh and this closes internal contacts to supply the motor which only then turns. I would check that there is sufficient clearance for the pinion endways movement so that the internal switch contacts close. Also check the contacts are clean and not worn. Peter.

Comment

The inertia starter normally throws in from behind so your flywheel has a lead/taper on the rear face its teeth,

Most pre-engage starters throw in from the front, so you need a flywheel with the lead on the teeth to the front.

and what Peter said while I was typing.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi Q627, welcome

As archivist I do not recognise that as a Berli registration

Could you please confirm it to me, and the chassis number, and some pics if possible to go into the archive

Use my private email (in Pitstop) if you prefer not to go public with the info

Thanks DC

Comment

Yes it is. Maroon on sorn

Comment

Thanks Hugh

It never fails to amaze me at the number of "new to us" Roadsters and Berlinettas which Ben & I keep discovering

Rgds DC

Comment

Working...
            X