Trials Marlins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trials Marlins

The marlin I run is a long wheelbase model we have modified the steering arms (shortened by 1inch)to tighten the turning circle which has made a big difference on some of the tighter sections

Comment

Are you allowed a knob on the steering wheel I assume twiddle brakes are a no no??
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Just to say on behalf of the silent majority I am very much enjoying this thread.
        Paul

Comment

Yes you can have a knob on the steering wheel the fiddler brakes are used on classic(sporting) trials car not on production car trials car
          Last edited by MarkG; 09-12-18, 03:14 PM.

Comment

With regard to improving steering response on a MK2 Roadster, fitting a 10" steering wheel improves things a lot and the steering isn't noticeably heavier as a consequence.
            Doing this mod has an added bonus resulting in more leg room which helps get on and off the brake pedal more easily.

Comment

Like Milliemarlin I also find this thread interesting. Excuse my ignorance but what are fiddler brakes? Speaking as magazine editor it has been a long while since I had anything on Marlins in trials so some sort of article would be great, whether it be a report on a trial or something technical regarding the cars them selves. Something to think about?

Comment

I believe that they are individual hand brakes allowing the driver to 'lock' a spinning wheel so allowing drive to be transmitted to the other . Acts like an LSD but only with driver input.
                I'm no expert so if anyone can put me right please go ahead!

Comment

The ones that I have seen at The Exeter Trial were on cable operated brakes. There was a separate lever outside the body with no ratchet. Pulling the lever operated the rear brakes and pushing it forward operated the front brakes, using additional cables linked to the brake levers. I believe hydraulic systems use the same principle just with extra master cylinder(s).

Comment

Cheers for that Tony, I know Feb 19 is a bit away yet but I have been on The Fellside website and it doesn't mention geographic locations. I would like to go and see what happens first.
                    Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
                      I believe that they are individual hand brakes allowing the driver to 'lock' a spinning wheel so allowing drive to be transmitted to the other . Acts like an LSD but only with driver input.
                      I'm no expert so if anyone can put me right please go ahead!
                      Allowed on some classes of trials car, fiddle brakes is a system of two hand levers that operate the rear brakes independently side to side the art is to know which wheel is spinning.
                      Last edited by b_caswell; 04-12-18, 10:31 PM.
                      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Fiddle brakes are not allowed on "classic car trial" events, only on sporting car trials. We have at least a half dozen Roadster trials cars down here in Cornwall, 3mgb powered, a pinto, x flow, twin cam , and my v8, they lend themselves very well to trialling, although, more modern kits ,ie the Liege, are considerably more able these days. Classic trials are great fun, rarely damage a prepped car, beyond a multitude of scratches, and bent front bumpers, I thoughrely recommend having ago if your thinking about it, you wont regret it....

Comment

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
                          Cheers for that Tony, I know Feb 19 is a bit away yet but I have been on The Fellside website and it doesn't mention geographic locations. I would like to go and see what happens first.
                          Dave.
                          Hi Dave
                          The best place to watch is Sandale OS map ref 85/246404. Many of the sections are in the Forests and not easily accessible to spectate Sandale usually opens early afternoon.
                          Alternatively if you felt like marshalling you would be with a team on one of the other sections.

Comment

I've just contacted the Fellside club to see what's involved in entering. If I do compete in this or any other trial I'll try and do a write up of what's involved from a novice perspective.
                            Original builder of SWB Cabrio chassis no. 04-33 reg. no. CRN540Y - had a 2.8L Cologne V6 when I sold it in 2011
                            Briefly owned Marlin Berlinetta Q670XBB for about 4 months in 2012
                            Did own SWB Marian 1800TC Roadster Q741LPP - modified for trials by Fourtune Engineering
                            Now own Marlin Sportster with 3.5L BMW straight six powerplant P764DOD - proof that absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Comment

Those with an interest in trials-prepared Marlins may like to view my recently-updated Register, linked from https://wheelspinclassictrials.wordp...rlin-roadster/

Comment

Many thanks for the update, I'll now update the archive info

Regards DC

Comment

Working...
                                X