roadster hood swb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roadster hood swb

i'm after a hood for a roadster swb anyone have a spare or one i could use as a template.

thanks
    Dion 07961818205

Re: roadster hood swb

Were are you as have one you can use as a template, in Derbyshire.

Comment

Originally posted by yousay54 View Post
      Were are you as have one you can use as a template, in Derbyshire.
      thanks for your offer. i'm down in dorchester dorset. might be a little to far. have the panel off at painters at mo.

Comment

These people http://www.pipertrimmers.co.uk/ made me a hood from scratch for a Spartan Treka years ago. Not cheap but it was a good job. They are at Sparkford near Yoevil, so you could pop into the motor museum too.

Comment

I have an old scruffy hood that I am going to use as a template. Going to attempt this over the winter.
          As in my rebuild diary I have done everything myself so why not try the hood as well. I have access to an industrial sewing machine so what’s the worst that can happen? Balls it up I suppose but I always think ‘oh well, I gave it a go’.
          Don’t want to use vinyl that is on the original so may try tent grade black canvas and source the clear plastic for the windows and of course the heavy duty zips and poppers.

Comment

Go for it, the Marlin spirit lives.

Adrian

Originally posted by meverett View Post
            I have an old scruffy hood that I am going to use as a template. Going to attempt this over the winter.
            As in my rebuild diary I have done everything myself so why not try the hood as well. I have access to an industrial sewing machine so what’s the worst that can happen? Balls it up I suppose but I always think ‘oh well, I gave it a go’.
            Don’t want to use vinyl that is on the original so may try tent grade black canvas and source the clear plastic for the windows and of course the heavy duty zips and poppers.

Comment

Meverett,
              Forgive my interjection, but I have a few tips that may help in the long run.

Before you take the fabric of the old hood apart I suggest that you mark the seams of each piece before you take it apart.
              Number or letter each part on the seams and use a stitch ripper to minimise damage, the more datum marks you place on the fabric the easier it will be on assembly, the mind plays funny tricks on you after a week away or a few libations.
              I bought a singer sewing machine off ebay for £40 and made mine ,it can be done, just take your time. Even repairs to make to your sewing machine can be found on line.
              When cutting out your patterns make sure you transfer the marks over to the new material, get some bulldog clips and contact glue, and use thin plastic clothesline for beading.
              Phil

Comment

Originally posted by phil.coyle View Post
                Meverett,
                Forgive my interjection, but I have a few tips that may help in the long run.

Before you take the fabric of the old hood apart I suggest that you mark the seams of each piece before you take it apart.
                Number or letter each part on the seams and use a stitch ripper to minimise damage, the more datum marks you place on the fabric the easier it will be on assembly, the mind plays funny tricks on you after a week away or a few libations.
                I bought a singer sewing machine off ebay for £40 and made mine ,it can be done, just take your time. Even repairs to make to your sewing machine can be found on line.
                When cutting out your patterns make sure you transfer the marks over to the new material, get some bulldog clips and contact glue, and use thin plastic clothesline for beading.
                Phil
                Thanks Phil, I’m pleased to hear someone else successfully made their own.
                Any advise is greatly appreciated and you have some good advise there. I am also going to take plenty of reference pictures with seams numbered and displayed in the pics so as to remind me.
                Did you use canvas? Also where did you purchase the poppers that secure around the rear tub?
                How did yours turn out? Got any pics?
                Cheers, Martin.

Comment

Woolies trim for the poppers and the clear window plastic [they call it Vybak] There are no doubt other sources.

Comment

Forgot to mention about sailmakers tape, widths from 12mm and upwards, stickier than a sticky thing and useful for assembling pieces together before stitching.
                    For lift dot fasteners have a look at Chandlers and all Marine related fasteners, usually the best suppliers for stainless fittings, and if you want I can give you a method to perfect an oval for a rear window.

Warning about sail makers tape, if it sticks to itself, that's it use a new piece and only cut it off the roll, believe me its amazing.

Phil

I used Pvc, I don't have any photos as I moved a year ago from Droitwich to Prestatyn and a lot of my (not needed at the moment) resides in a container but ONE DAY.
                    Last edited by philcoyle; 05-12-18, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Hi Phil

What make of sailmakers tape would you recommend as there are so many.

Adrian

Originally posted by phil.coyle View Post
                      Forgot to mention about sailmakers tape, widths from 12mm and upwards, stickier than a sticky thing and useful for assembling pieces together before stitching.
                      For lift dot fasteners have a look at Chandlers and all Marine related fasteners, usually the best suppliers for stainless fittings, and if you want I can give you a method to perfect an oval for a rear window.

Warning about sail makers tape, if it sticks to itself, that's it use a new piece and only cut it off the roll, believe me its amazing.

Phil

I used Pvc, I don't have any photos as I moved a year ago from Droitwich to Prestatyn and a lot of my (not needed at the moment) resides in a container but ONE DAY.

Comment

Good stuff, but can be tricky to sew through in some cases as adhesive builds up on needle. I've used various luff and spinnaker repair tapes when dinghy sailing, bought from chandlers.
                        Probably Bainbridge international or 3M stuff , can't remember exactly

Comment

All good advice and thanks.
                          My shopping list is getting longer.
                          Cheers, Martin.

Comment

The sail tape I used was double-sided 12mm and I used it just to do a dummy run before final stitching.
                            As Dogoncrazy says the tape is not good to sew through as thread and glue are not a good combination, so after taping the seams with the doublesided tape, clamp the seams together with bulldog clips or the smallest clamps you can find and remove the tape as you move along the seam, just don't fit it altogether at once unless you are part octopus.

I had dark brown hair when I made mine, now I'm getting ready for my once a year job at the local department store, ho, ho,ho.

Comment

Working...
                            X