I went for my first long drive to the Tan Hill Inn via Ribblehead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I went for my first long drive to the Tan Hill Inn via Ribblehead

I had some holiday to use before year end, so I took the Roadster I've recently bought for a run from my home in Burnley up to the Tan Hill Inn and back via Clitheroe, Slaidburn, Bentham, Hawes, Buttertubs, Kirby Stephen, Sedburgh, Ribblehead, Settle and Gisburn. About 155 miles, and the car felt great on those roads. I've just sold a Caterham 7 Classic and one of the reasons for selling was that it felt like an act of cruelty taking that delicate chassis for a beating over that kind of road. The Marlin felt a bit more robust and wasn't much slower. The main learning points are 1) fit a heater - the original has been removed to make way for a battery box under the scuttle. 2) fit bigger wind deflectors or rigid sidescreens - it was a bit chilly today. IMG_3201.jpgIMG_3211.jpgIMG_3200.jpg
    Original builder of SWB Cabrio chassis no. 04-33 reg. no. CRN540Y - had a 2.8L Cologne V6 when I sold it in 2011
    Briefly owned Marlin Berlinetta Q670XBB for about 4 months in 2012
    Did own SWB Marian 1800TC Roadster Q741LPP - modified for trials by Fourtune Engineering
    Now own Marlin Sportster with 3.5L BMW straight six powerplant P764DOD - proof that absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Re: I went for my first long drive to the Tan Hill Inn via Ribblehead

Absolutely brilliant.

Adrian

Comment

The car and the scenery look awesome.
      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Empty roads heaven! Last photo for the calendar 2020?

Comment

Regarding the lack of a heater I was faced with the same problem when I sunk the battery into the scuttle. It was a case of battery or heater and, naturally, the battery took priority. By removing the casing and the large diameter fan from the Mini heater matrix normally used I was able to fit a pair of 12V computer type cooling fans to the front of the matrix which made the whole thing a lot smaller and then re-fit the heater. Admittedly the fans are not as powerful as the original but it still took the chill off around your legs when venturing out in the winter.

Comment

Car Builder Solutions have some heater options if budget allows;

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/heatac

On bigger wind deflectors or rigid side screens I see that my old Marlin (PKK) has larger deflectors than usual, I didn't have any when I owned the car which is why I made up some rigid side screens which worked well when they stayed on, but may have been lost in a dark garage of a subsequent owner !

pkk989M.jpg

If I remember the rigid side screens were a bugger to fit securely, probably easier on the very early door less Roadsters, but then of course you wouldn't be able to get in... >)

However on the last Roadster I had they were smaller and appeared to work OK but maybe I dive more slowly now... it also had a weird bolt on plastic deflector on the top of the screen which is another idea.

Q733-JKO-Stoneleigh-2010.jpg
            - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
            - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
            - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
            - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
            - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

I have this fitted and it is not only warm but the fan is excellent.

Since 2009, T7Design have grown to be a key brand in offering thermal solutions, efficiency and performance products to the Motorsport and Automotive industry. Alongside our own ever-expanding brand of Honda K-Series performance parts and a variety of both water fed and completely electric lightweight Heaters, we stock some of the worlds leading Automotive brands. A selection of engineering services can be provided to assist you with your ongoing projects such as 3D Scanning, 3D Printing and CAD Design. Whether you require a bespoke heater, fuel fittings, technical support or even a single titanium bolt - we have you covered.

Very small and takes up very little room.

Along with a Powervamp Odyssey PC680.

This will easily turn anything upto a two litre engine.

They are small, compact and can be mounted in any orientation.

Adrian

P.S. It's what I have used on my Roadster.

See thread http://www.marlinownersclub.com/foru...hlight=Battery

There is a picture of the install there, I covered up the gapping hole for the original and mounted it on the bulkhead, now the passenger has some foot room.

Adrian
              Last edited by listerjp2; 14-12-18, 04:32 PM.

Comment

I have to admit I'd ordered a T7design heater early this week before the drive and I unpacked it today. The first image shows the rough size and the second image shows that it looks like it should fit in front of the battery box, which is installed centrally above the transmission tunnel. This will allow me to keep the currently installed battery.
                IMG_3217.jpgIMG_3219.jpg
                This heater has four outlets - the car already has two scuttle mounted windscreen vents that I can duct to from the top two outlets and use the bottom two for the footwells. I haven't built a car for about 15 years now and I hadn't realised how much stuff is available for today's builders - handy as I don't have Project Binky levels of time/skills/patience to make my own HVAC system.
                Original builder of SWB Cabrio chassis no. 04-33 reg. no. CRN540Y - had a 2.8L Cologne V6 when I sold it in 2011
                Briefly owned Marlin Berlinetta Q670XBB for about 4 months in 2012
                Did own SWB Marian 1800TC Roadster Q741LPP - modified for trials by Fourtune Engineering
                Now own Marlin Sportster with 3.5L BMW straight six powerplant P764DOD - proof that absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Comment

Opening Christmas pressies early? :-)

Comment

Working...
                  X