Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Wind deflectors or side screens

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. #1 Wind deflectors or side screens 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    As per the thread in "What did you do with your Marlin today" I want to canvas opinions on wind deflectors V rigid side screens. My Roadster has some wind deflectors, but they are relatively small, and my right hand froze in its normal 2 o'clock position on the wheel today, even wearing two pairs of gloves. I also seemed to get quite a bit of buffeting over the side of the cockpit. I have used the search tools and looked in the archive, and the DJM Webster wind deflectors from 1985 look much larger than the ones I currently have and get some good historical testimonials - but do they really work? If I'd taken my partner in the car today I'd never get her in it again. I'd much rather keep with wind deflectors than go to rigid sidescreen's if the deflectors work - I don't intend to use the hood at all if I can avoid it. My experience with all the open cars I've owned is that if you keep moving you generally keep pretty dry. Any opinions/experience welcomed, any photo's / diagram's of deflectors/sidescreen's a bonus.

2. #2 Re: Wind deflectors or side screens 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevepritch's Avatar
    I fitted some deflectors to my Sportster. For me, and particularly my partner, they do make a difference, but the Mark 1s will be upgraded this year to drop a little lower and a little wider.
    I also fitted a Poly Carb screen into the roll frame which has helped with the buffering as the wind stream passes over the car.

3. #3 Re: Wind deflectors or side screens 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member 928cdu's Avatar
    Hi,
    Having rigid screens I'm in favour of those .. an old thread had some pictures on here:

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/foru...-a-catch/page2

Very similar to the lotus 7 approach...
    Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
    Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

4. #4 Re: Wind deflectors or side screens 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member b_caswell's Avatar
    you could go heated glove route !
    https://www.primrose.co.uk/-p-69398.html?adtype=pla&kwd=&option=8005&gclid=EAIaI QobChMI5Omw2cyf3wIVShkbCh263Qn_EAEYBiAAEgLFzPD_BwE

Here is a pic of my car with small deflectors which work \OK without doing a Jumbo impression.
    Last edited by b_caswell; 14-12-2018 at 02:13 PM.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

5. #5 Re: Wind deflectors or side screens 
    I'm posting these pics on behalf of dogoncrazy, they are of his recently made screens for his ex G Grumble Roadster CPY 301L
    Hopefully he'll be along shortly to add some words about them
    Attached Images

6. #6 Re: Wind deflectors or side screens 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member kolmershlagjp's Avatar
    Hello
    you can make demountable deflectors on the doors
    like this

7. #7 Re: Wind deflectors or side screens 
    Moderator Club Member
    The last photo is the first attempt, being one piece hinged from the windscreen frame .
    The second attempt incorporated 'quarterlights' slotted into an alloy 'u' channel attached to aft edge of frame and to another alloy panel secured to outer edge of scuttle. The main side screen attaches to door via stainless brackets with thumbwheel nuts into rivnuts. This enables quick removal of the main panel but the quarterlights are permanent.
    initially the main side screen was being drawn outwards at its top leading edge by airflow so have now incorporated a simple turning catch that holds behind the quarterlight and has solved the issue.
    Should I wish to have a more completely draught free solution then the original floppy side screens can be fitted instead of the polycarbonate. I'm working on something that adds additional sealing between the rigid screens and the hood .
    All this and I've had the engine out for some remedial work to an oil seal !!! Never a dull moment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. #8 Re: Wind deflectors or side screens 
    regular forum contributor Club Member
    I found as you said that keeping moving keeps you dry. Problem is when you stop in traffic under trees. Cold shower. The solution is to give the passenger a golf umbrella.

9. #9 Re: Wind deflectors or side screens 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member greyV8pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislibby View Post
    I found as you said that keeping moving keeps you dry. Problem is when you stop in traffic under trees. Cold shower. The solution is to give the passenger a golf umbrella.
    You will probably need the brolly tomorrow Chris for the SW Meet! Peter.

10. #10 Re: Wind deflectors or side screens 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Thanks for all the replies so far and the examples of everyone's ingenuity (or should that be enginuity?). I'm still undecided but I'm drawn to the idea of bigger wind deflectors to try and keep the open feel to the cockpit experience and maintain the facility to develop what my Dad calls "MG elbow". It's probably worth some buffeting to keep those elements. I'll report back on what I decide.