Wind deflectors or side screens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wind deflectors or side screens

As per the thread in "What did you do with your Marlin today" I want to canvas opinions on wind deflectors V rigid side screens. My Roadster has some wind deflectors, but they are relatively small, and my right hand froze in its normal 2 o'clock position on the wheel today, even wearing two pairs of gloves. I also seemed to get quite a bit of buffeting over the side of the cockpit. I have used the search tools and looked in the archive, and the DJM Webster wind deflectors from 1985 look much larger than the ones I currently have and get some good historical testimonials - but do they really work? If I'd taken my partner in the car today I'd never get her in it again. I'd much rather keep with wind deflectors than go to rigid sidescreen's if the deflectors work - I don't intend to use the hood at all if I can avoid it. My experience with all the open cars I've owned is that if you keep moving you generally keep pretty dry. Any opinions/experience welcomed, any photo's / diagram's of deflectors/sidescreen's a bonus.
    Original builder of SWB Cabrio chassis no. 04-33 reg. no. CRN540Y - had a 2.8L Cologne V6 when I sold it in 2011
    Briefly owned Marlin Berlinetta Q670XBB for about 4 months in 2012
    Did own SWB Marian 1800TC Roadster Q741LPP - modified for trials by Fourtune Engineering
    Now own Marlin Sportster with 3.5L BMW straight six powerplant P764DOD - proof that absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Re: Wind deflectors or side screens

I fitted some deflectors to my Sportster. For me, and particularly my partner, they do make a difference, but the Mark 1s will be upgraded this year to drop a little lower and a little wider.
    I also fitted a Poly Carb screen into the roll frame which has helped with the buffering as the wind stream passes over the car.

Comment

Hi,
      Having rigid screens I'm in favour of those .. an old thread had some pictures on here:

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/foru...-a-catch/page2

Very similar to the lotus 7 approach...
      Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
      Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Comment

you could go heated glove route !
        https://www.primrose.co.uk/-p-69398.html?adtype=pla&kwd=&option=8005&gclid=EAIaI QobChMI5Omw2cyf3wIVShkbCh263Qn_EAEYBiAAEgLFzPD_BwE

Here is a pic of my car with small deflectors which work \OK without doing a Jumbo impression.
        Last edited by b_caswell; 14-12-18, 03:13 PM.
        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

I'm posting these pics on behalf of dogoncrazy, they are of his recently made screens for his ex G Grumble Roadster CPY 301L
          Hopefully he'll be along shortly to add some words about them
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello
            you can make demountable deflectors on the doors
            like this
            Attached Files

Comment

The last photo is the first attempt, being one piece hinged from the windscreen frame .
              The second attempt incorporated 'quarterlights' slotted into an alloy 'u' channel attached to aft edge of frame and to another alloy panel secured to outer edge of scuttle. The main side screen attaches to door via stainless brackets with thumbwheel nuts into rivnuts. This enables quick removal of the main panel but the quarterlights are permanent.
              initially the main side screen was being drawn outwards at its top leading edge by airflow so have now incorporated a simple turning catch that holds behind the quarterlight and has solved the issue.
              Should I wish to have a more completely draught free solution then the original floppy side screens can be fitted instead of the polycarbonate. I'm working on something that adds additional sealing between the rigid screens and the hood .
              All this and I've had the engine out for some remedial work to an oil seal !!! Never a dull moment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I found as you said that keeping moving keeps you dry. Problem is when you stop in traffic under trees. Cold shower. The solution is to give the passenger a golf umbrella.

Comment

Originally posted by chrislibby View Post
                  I found as you said that keeping moving keeps you dry. Problem is when you stop in traffic under trees. Cold shower. The solution is to give the passenger a golf umbrella.
                  You will probably need the brolly tomorrow Chris for the SW Meet! Peter.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies so far and the examples of everyone's ingenuity (or should that be enginuity?). I'm still undecided but I'm drawn to the idea of bigger wind deflectors to try and keep the open feel to the cockpit experience and maintain the facility to develop what my Dad calls "MG elbow". It's probably worth some buffeting to keep those elements. I'll report back on what I decide.
                    Original builder of SWB Cabrio chassis no. 04-33 reg. no. CRN540Y - had a 2.8L Cologne V6 when I sold it in 2011
                    Briefly owned Marlin Berlinetta Q670XBB for about 4 months in 2012
                    Did own SWB Marian 1800TC Roadster Q741LPP - modified for trials by Fourtune Engineering
                    Now own Marlin Sportster with 3.5L BMW straight six powerplant P764DOD - proof that absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Comment

Hi would like to make some side screens but with the Roadster having such a narrow cockpit tend to drive with my arm over the door top, so would have to belly them out at elbow level any ideas please?

Comment

I recall this being covered fairly recently, someone, cannot remember who, had made something in grp(?) which had an arm elbow bulge / blister and it sat on top of the door, i'm sure someone will be along with more info!
                        Last edited by Tony Stott; 19-12-18, 08:02 AM.

Comment

I asked about this a while ago. There was a a fiberglass sidescreen with elbow room but the mould was borrowed and not returned. I'm going to have to make some when I get around to fitting my LWB hardtop to a SWB Roadster. The hood sidescreens are not the same shape as the hardtop apertures.

Comment

I made these some years ago fit onto previous owners quarter lights, the pics are probably on an old thread
                            The current owner did not want them so they've been binned
                            Main difficulty was waterproofing around the top/hood join
                            I think each car is possibly unique so you'd have to make your own templates
                            Attached Files

Comment

You could look at the Caterham side screen that has a bulge for your elbow but then you will have to fight both the side screen and the door to get in and out. Or the Morgan system that mounts on to the door and has a sliding window. There is also a design in the Technical Tips that could be adapted.
                              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
                              X