Shocks absorbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks absorbers

Hope you all have had a good Christmas as of the tread title I am looking at changing my front shocks on my cortina based Berly probably to some adjustable gaz ones but before I do so I have a few questions.
    From looking on eBay I see spax do a shorter shock is this something I should look at as the berly is lowered?
    Has any one fitted adjustable coil overs as I feel the front of my car is a little to high compared to back, yes I do realise I could cut the springs to get the right height and the springs on the car may already be cut to have lowered it but I am not keen on doing this. Adjustable coil overs appeal because you can fine tune the height to where you want it but the top and bottom mounts would need strengthening.
    At the moment I am leaning towards buying some adjustable gaz shocks and cutting the springs to the desired height test drive it to see what I think and then get some new springs made to the correct height and spring rate.
    Any advice or any info of anyone who has fitted coil overs would be appreciated.
    Happy New year Angus

Re: Shocks absorbers

Hi,
    Rather than cut springs, I fitted Cortina springs supplied by Burton Power. They supply them in standard length, standard minus 1" and standard minus 2".
    I fitted the minus 2 and they give a nice ride height. I have non adjustable shocks at the front and no roll bar. The car is a delight to drive.
    Of note I have non-standard top front adjustable wishbones which allows me to adjust the fierce negative camber of the standard lowered front suspension. It does make a difference.
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Danes last sentence is important. If you do not have any way to adjust the front camber then reducing your spring length could result in negative camber. The non standard adjustable top wishbone is the ideal way if you can fabricate these. Another member has elongated the mounting holes in the standard wishbone so the whole unit will move inwards and outwards and then welded large washers to locate the mounting bar in the required position.

Comment

On this subject, is there a good source of adjustable top wishbones? A Google search seems to indicate a few options. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X