Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Advice for Sierra based roadster

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. #1 Advice for Sierra based roadster 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member b_caswell's Avatar
    As the last post on the YKC thread was two and a half years ago I have posted here as most read this.

A member has contacted me for advice
    I have a Sierra based YKC roadster.
    I did not build it but I do have the build manual on file. However it's not very comprehensive. I think there are many technical articles on the forum but I find the forum difficult to navigate. Can you aid me?
    My biggest issue is the suspension. It was YKC designed I understand. How should it be set up?. Is there any documentation or technical data.

The build manual info posted further down the forum doesn't really help so someone YKC savvy would be appreciated.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

2. #2 Re: Advice for Sierra based roadster 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    It would be useful if gentlemen requiring advice, posted his own question, rather than through a third party.

Has he for example read the archived YKC documents available in the members only section?

I have complimentary docs stored on keepandshare, but I cannot pass the location on to him, so rather a waste of time.

His loss, as there is nothing I can do to help.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

3. #3 Re: Advice for Sierra based roadster 
    Club Member
    I agree with Steve. Our best advice is that he or she joins the club. It will give them access to a large amount of technical data and the pooled knowledge of hundreds of members. It really is not that much and could save them many times the subscription in time, effort and parts.

That information should be of benefit to other YKC members too. They are all most welcome.
    Paul

PS: If the best advice, joining the club, was given with a sample of great advice copied from here that would be a great advert for us.

4. #4 Re: Advice for Sierra based roadster 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member b_caswell's Avatar
    Read my first post!!!! the guy is a member the notifications only work with members and he says hestruggles to navigate the forum and technical pages but there aynt much info there any way. Constructive guidance is what he needs. Im only trying help !!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by b_caswell; 04-01-2019 at 09:50 PM.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

5. #5 Re: Advice for Sierra based roadster 
    Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b_caswell View Post
    Read my first post!!!! the guy is a member the notifications only work with members and he says hestruggles to navigate the forum and technical pages but there aynt much info there any way. Constructive guidance is what he needs. Im only trying help for FFFF sakes!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry Ben I misunderstood.

I’ll get my coat!
    Paul

6. #6 Re: Advice for Sierra based roadster 
    regular forum contributor Club Member
    Thank you Ben. As you say I am a paid up member. Rather surprised at the response from the other two.

7. #7 Re: Advice for Sierra based roadster 
    Excuse me but I am a member of the club.
    If you have archived material I would be grateful to have some access to it. As I said in my first post, I have difficulty navigating the forum. I am a mechanic not a computer person.
    Chris

8. #8 Re: Advice for Sierra based roadster 
    Administrator Club Member
    Hi Chris,
    When I first read Ben's post I thought that he was copying a post from another website. In an effort to redeem my faux pas:

I have experience of setting up Cabrio and Sportster both of which are Sierra based suspension. Both are very different. The Cabrio has little adjustment the Sportster has lots.

Do you need general advice on basic procedures to set things up or dimensions, toe in, camber, etc..?
    Paul

9. #9 Re: Advice for Sierra based roadster 
    Thanks for that.
    My car seems to handle and drive fine, but it's ten years old and I wonder if it's set up ok. I seem to have excessive camber on the front end. The suspension seems very hard on the front and soft on the rear. I could do with studying how things should have been set up and then deciding if mine needs adjusting.
    Is there any special tool for winding up those little adjustable dampers?

My car is a Roadster not a cabrio

10. #10 Re: Advice for Sierra based roadster 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member greyV8pete's Avatar
    If they are GAZ coil overs you need a C-spanner. There are two diameters. Merlin Motorsport sell them.

On the GAZ ones there I’d a small grub screw locking screw in the side of the adjuster ring. Make sure you undo it a couple of turns before adjustment and of course don’t forget to tighten it afterwards. Also clean the threads with a stiff brush and oil them before adjusting. Jack the chassis too to uncompress the springs as much as possible. The adjusters will probably still be quite stiff to turn.

Start with the shocks adjusters fully off / soft and then do up one click at a time until the “bounce” of the car is just eliminated. Many owners have them set far too hard. Some people just fit non adjustable O/E dampers which may be ok but are designed for much heavier production cars, so unlikely to be correct for a lighter Marlin. Peter.