UP and Running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UP and Running

Is this the old forum or are we up and running??
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Re: UP and Running

The forum should be back working. Some parts of the site still need upgrades. I would wait a few days for things to settle down before posting anything that you do not want to loose..

I’m very upset that the website was away for so long. We had a simple plan close the website, copy the files, set up the new website, verify everything was working and re-open the website (8 hours max). If there were any problems we would go back to the old system. In the event when it was clear the new website was not fit our old supplier was unable to re-instate the old website. I’m not sure why but lack of incentive may have paid a part.

We took the opportunity to upgrade our software as part of the move. An upgrade was well overdue. A compatibility inconsistency between the various versions of software caused an unanticipated delay to the upgrade. I had no inkling that the well established software we use could be so flaky. The software developers had to provide fixes and upgrades to get the system functioning. As I type this they are still try to sort out our membership system. Please don’t renew your membership here for a while.

As Marlin owners I’m sure everyone will understand that upgrades are not always as straight forward as planned.
    Paul

Comment

Seems to be working but, a few times I have been re-directed to some third party website? Needs to be investigated .....

Comment

Originally posted by Peterx View Post
        Seems to be working but, a few times I have been re-directed to some third party website? Needs to be investigated .....
        Known to be a problem and I hope it has been fixed.
        Paul

Comment

That's good. I only raised it in case you weren't aware. I'll let you know if I see it again.

Comment

Looking good, after some initial glitches. Well done, I know how frustrating a transfer can be
            Brian

Learning more about:
            June '73 Marina based Mk2 Roadster
            1800 TC; 4 speed gearbox; 4.55:1 differential with 4.5pcd (the rare one!)

Another interest -www.somersetschoolsathletics.org.uk
            And another - 'Tractor Doctors' skittle team

Comment

I did wonder if this was new or not. Just glad its back. I tried to open it a few minutes ago and got a screen full of 3 naked girls! I'm not realy complaining though. Many thanks to the people who are working to get us back to normal. I know very little about computers except tha they can be pigs to get working properly. Respect and thanks.

Comment

The forum is currently live, but the main website is still buggy, full of redirects. Apparently my iPad has multiple viruses.
                The unaware could easily be dragged down a rabbit hole.

I wonder whether the pain was actually financially worthwhile, when the previous hosts were pretty much bug free when compared to the past week.
                MOC member since 05/97
                1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Hi All,
                  The website is still not functioning to my entire satisfaction. I hope the last few problems will be ironed out next week.

I too have been redirected to view some interesting bodywork. I have also seen the red screen of “danger do not go there”. I don’t understand how that happens. I would keep visits here to a minimum until we are fully happy with the new installation.

I can confirm that in the long term it will be worth it. Not that we had much option. Part of the grief with the upgrade has been because almost all components in the site have need to be renewed, refurbished or upgraded (to explain in terms I understand).
                  Paul

Comment

Hi Paul et al

FWIW if it helps this is the "rogue" I have had a few times : http://134.249.116.78/index.php

........including yesterday and just now - and NO I did not check it out !

Rgds DC

Edit : at 1125 just tried again, seems that the first attempt to get onto the site goes rogue - in this case http://185.143.221.14/
                    .....however a second attempt seems to be OK ????????????????????

at 1542 straight in, no problems --------- like Ben says below, well done Paul
                    Last edited by dcunn; 13-01-19, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Same experience as DC for what its worth. Well done Paul 10/10
                      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

I just tried to open and also got the 3 naked girls !!

Comment

I got the same issue as Dnunn. I also deleted from favourites as needed new link. If you search for Marlins owners club the first choice on google does not work - 2nd one does ie the Forum website option no critisism just sharing exerience

Comment

If I hit link to main web site in the starp line at top I end up at google news

Comment

Strap not starp

Comment

Working...
                              X