UP and Running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UP and Running

No problems, all working OK. Tried several times without nudes!! Damn!!
    Using Firefox by the way.
    Hugh
    Last edited by h_m_cumming; 14-01-19, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Paul, Just to add to your workload for the new web host service, Opera browser is also coming up with a malicious site warning as below.
      Many thanks for your efforts.

MOC Warning.JPG
      Best Wishes
      Bill Williams
      Berlinetta

[/COLOR]Click here for The nearest thing I have to a home page

Comment

I have spent a while mooching around the site and so far so good.

We still need to test some parts like member sign ups.

I have been assured that the redirection issues have been fixed and actions taken to prevent it happening in the future.

I can’t believe that a simple migration and upgrade could throw up so many problems. Fingers crossed that the website is back to normal.

I think I would still wait a few days before posting anything important so we can be confident the new site is rock solid.

I can’t tell you how sorry I am that things have not gone as smoothly as they should have.
        Paul

Comment

First of all I want to apologise on behalf of myself and Paul C for the longer than anticipated transfer of the website hosting which threw up a number of unexpected technical issues and also for the scary warnings many of you have received. As Paul has already mentioned there will be a need for some further minor (hopefully) upgrades and we will do best to warn you in advance but please bear with us. Secondly, I want to publicly thank Paul for all the work and aggravation he has gone through over the last few weeks, particularly bearing in mind he officially 'retired' from his post last May but we had no-one come forward to take over. Hopefully this situation has now changed - more on that later. Lastly, I don't particularly want to go into the reasons for the change of website hosting company on the forum but the committee considered it a necessary move.
          Regards
          Geoff

Comment

No need to apologise, you have my admiration for doing it.

Comment

+1 ^

Comment

+2. Thanks for all your time and trouble. I could never have done it!

Comment

Yes well done Paul, I think I suggested it'd take 3/4 times longer than expected, in that regard IT is very like working on old cars!
                  - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                  - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                  - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                  - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                  - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

An interesting little bug.
                    It appears that in many historical posts, where people have used apostrophes, they are being replaced by a symbol as below.

Season�s greetings

Not vital but some posts are riddled with
                    �. Is this post similarly ‘impacted’.
                    It looks ok as I type.
                    MOC member since 05/97
                    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Hi Paul,
                      Many thanks for effort and your time spent getting the website/forum up and running again, it is greatly appreciated, and is a something that I have no knowledge on how to do myself.

Steve, I can see a diamond with a white question mark within it, is that what you are referring to?
                      Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; 16-01-19, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Exactly that!

Seems to be historical posts only.
                        MOC member since 05/97
                        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Hi Steve,
                          Season's greetings to you too.

Apostrophe catastrophe and other punctuation marks disasters.

Generally speaking these problems are caused by cutting and pasting from another program like word. Typing it in the forum should be ok. Hyphens – can also give problems.

Throughout my career I have been dogged by problems like this. I still shiver thinking about my time in a German bank trying to get umlauts to work properly.

Thanks to everyone for all your support.
                          Paul

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                            An interesting little bug.
                            It appears that in many historical posts, where people have used apostrophes, they are being replaced by a symbol as below.

Season�s greetings

Not vital but some posts are riddled with
                            �. Is this post similarly ‘impacted’.
                            It looks ok as I type.
                            This will be a character encoding issue with either the software, database or web server. You will find that one of those has been setup with a different encoding to that originally used.
                            - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                            - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                            - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                            - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                            - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

I have noticed this issue when posting on the forum from my Apple tablet. So I have to resort to the old ways :-). Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by mocad2016 View Post
                                Hi Steve,
                                Season's greetings to you too.

Apostrophe catastrophe and other punctuation marks disasters.

Generally speaking these problems are caused by cutting and pasting from another program like word. Typing it in the forum should be ok. Hyphens – can also give problems.

Throughout my career I have been dogged by problems like this. I still shiver thinking about my time in a German bank trying to get umlauts to work properly.

Thanks to everyone for all your support.
                                Paul

Season’s Greetings was a copy and paste from one of your posts. Do you type them in word first. I don’t, I have used an iPad for years with no obvious character problems, and it’s only since this update that my eyes were drawn to what seems to be a problem due to the current changes.
                                Is it possibly an indicator of a bigger issue?

I note other people’s comments.
                                MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Working...
                                X