One piece bonnet storage...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One piece bonnet storage...

A perennial problem when working on a car that has a one piece removable bonnet is where do you put it. So inspired by a boat trailer I knocked up this holder on Saturday. The MDF is edged with foam then very light weight car carpet is pulled tightly over the edge and fixed with contact adhesive. I'll make it a bit more robust when I get some more materials from Wickes.

IMG_2550.jpg
    IMG_2553.jpg
    IMG_2551.jpg
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Re: One piece bonnet storage...

Nice idea, I could do with doing the same!

Comment

I’ll probably hinge the panels so I can store it flat.
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Hi David

I have looked at what you are currently constructing and surely storing the Bonnet Horizontally will take a lot of space in your garage?

Also if it is windy, a sudden gust could blow the bonnet off the stand that you have made, due to its light weight
        Storing panels vertically , if feasible may save you some space.

So an alternative method to consider that potentially could save you some space in the garage (unless it being stored elsewhere eg the living room ) would be to stand the bulkhead end of it onto a thick piece household carpet off-cut or even thick cardboard, propped against a wall with some soft cloths/ or some thin upholstery sponge, to protect the headlamp end of the Bonnet's paintwork against eg a wall
        Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; 16-01-19, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ye Ol Ripper View Post
          Hi David

I have looked at what you are currently constructing and surely storing the Bonnet Horizontally will take a lot of space in your garage?

Also if it is windy, a sudden gust could blow the bonnet off the stand that you have made, due to its light weight
          Storing panels vertically , if feasible may save you some space.

So an alternative method to consider that potentially could save you some space in the garage (unless it being stored elsewhere eg the living room ) would be to stand the bulkhead end of it onto a thick piece household carpet off-cut or even thick cardboard, propped against a wall with some soft cloths/ or some thin upholstery sponge, to protect the headlamp end of the Bonnet's paintwork against eg a wall
          You are of course correct, and I have been operating as you suggest for many years but the issue I have is I don’t have ‘stand up’ room available and this storage is only for when I’m working on the engine. Yes I will have to take care on windy days, I do have a strap or two I will used to tie it to the frame.

Comment

Working...
          X