Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Fiat Twin Cam Timing belt change

1. #1 Fiat Twin Cam Timing belt change 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member element's Avatar
    The timing belt on the 2.0 lump was last changed in 2001/2002, It has only ever since done 2k miles and for a lot of that time, it has sat still under cover or in a garage. It won't be on the road till April and I have a little time to do stuff but I think I'll add in a timing belt change, once I can source one. I would like to do the Fuzz Townshend (Car SOS) trick of cutting the original belt lengthwise in situ and removing it then fitting the new one on in its place and then remove the other 'half' of the original one.
    So the questions are:

Have any owners of a Fiat TC changed their timing belt with the engine in the car and if so how did you do it?
    Where did you source the replacement belt?

Many thanks!
    Tony
    2002 Marina based LWB Roadster with Fiat 2.0 TC engine & box

2. #2 Re: Fiat Twin Cam Timing belt change 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    I got my last cambelt from my local motor factors. Got a head gasket and cambox cover gaskets from D G Rally Ltd in Hampshire about a year ago.
    My engine is heavily modded and I have to set up the cams using a dial gauge to avoid piston/valve contact. Still all done in the car but with the rad out. Not sure if you can squeeze the belt past the V belt pulley, I think you have to remove the pulley.
    Hope this has been of some help,
    Hugh
    Last edited by h_m_cumming; 23-01-2019 at 08:29 PM.

3. #3 Re: Fiat Twin Cam Timing belt change 
    Ok thanks Hugh, I was just thinking out loud.. Haven't lifted the bonnet since October and thought it probably ought to be done, I have changed the V belt twice in 2 years. Just thought I would see what others had done. I don't think the timing belt sourcing will be too hard; have found one source already in 10 minutes: https://www.euspares.co.uk/parts-cat...132a/7425-2000

4. #4 Re: Fiat Twin Cam Timing belt change 
    frequent forum contributor
    Hi Tony,
    I have a stock 2.0L engine in my roadster and I have replaced the cam belt on several occasions and all with the engine in situ. I set my engine well back towards the bulkhead when I installed it so there is plenty of space to remove and replace the cambelt without too much trouble. There are plenty of suppliers out there but if you are really stuck, try Guy Croft. He is the man when it comes to Fiat and Lancia Twin Cams. Not the cheapest but the parts he supplies are the best quality, in my opinion.
    Chris

5. #5 Re: Fiat Twin Cam Timing belt change 
    For what its worth I was told of a way to change cambelts that may or may not work for you. Cut the existing cambelt in two, length ways(so you have 2 narrow belts) Cut the front belt off leaving the other on. Slide the new belt on, cutting the remaing old belt off when they meet. This way you don't affect the timing. It worked for me on a Sherpa diesel.

6. #6 Re: Fiat Twin Cam Timing belt change 
    Exactly my plan..

7. #7 Re: Fiat Twin Cam Timing belt change 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member listerjp2's Avatar
    Seen this done on Car SOS by Fuzz, seemed to work.

Regards

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by HairyDave View Post
    For what its worth I was told of a way to change cambelts that may or may not work for you. Cut the existing cambelt in two, length ways(so you have 2 narrow belts) Cut the front belt off leaving the other on. Slide the new belt on, cutting the remaing old belt off when they meet. This way you don't affect the timing. It worked for me on a Sherpa diesel.

8. #8 Re: Fiat Twin Cam Timing belt change 
    If it works for me and Fuzz what more can you ask for?
    Quote Originally Posted by listerjp2 View Post
    Seen this done on Car SOS by Fuzz, seemed to work.

Regards

Adrian

9. #9 Re: Fiat Twin Cam Timing belt change 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member andyf's Avatar
    If you do have to re-time it be careful of the auxiliary shaft timing as it can destroy the block if you get it wrong.
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986