Fiat Twin Cam Timing belt change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiat Twin Cam Timing belt change

The timing belt on the 2.0 lump was last changed in 2001/2002, It has only ever since done 2k miles and for a lot of that time, it has sat still under cover or in a garage. It won't be on the road till April and I have a little time to do stuff but I think I'll add in a timing belt change, once I can source one. I would like to do the Fuzz Townshend (Car SOS) trick of cutting the original belt lengthwise in situ and removing it then fitting the new one on in its place and then remove the other 'half' of the original one.
    So the questions are:

Have any owners of a Fiat TC changed their timing belt with the engine in the car and if so how did you do it?
    Where did you source the replacement belt?

Many thanks!
    Tony

Re: Fiat Twin Cam Timing belt change

I got my last cambelt from my local motor factors. Got a head gasket and cambox cover gaskets from D G Rally Ltd in Hampshire about a year ago.
    My engine is heavily modded and I have to set up the cams using a dial gauge to avoid piston/valve contact. Still all done in the car but with the rad out. Not sure if you can squeeze the belt past the V belt pulley, I think you have to remove the pulley.
    Hope this has been of some help,
    Hugh
    Last edited by h_m_cumming; 23-01-19, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Ok thanks Hugh, I was just thinking out loud.. Haven't lifted the bonnet since October and thought it probably ought to be done, I have changed the V belt twice in 2 years. Just thought I would see what others had done. I don't think the timing belt sourcing will be too hard; have found one source already in 10 minutes: https://www.euspares.co.uk/parts-cat...132a/7425-2000

Comment

Hi Tony,
        I have a stock 2.0L engine in my roadster and I have replaced the cam belt on several occasions and all with the engine in situ. I set my engine well back towards the bulkhead when I installed it so there is plenty of space to remove and replace the cambelt without too much trouble. There are plenty of suppliers out there but if you are really stuck, try Guy Croft. He is the man when it comes to Fiat and Lancia Twin Cams. Not the cheapest but the parts he supplies are the best quality, in my opinion.
        Chris

Comment

For what its worth I was told of a way to change cambelts that may or may not work for you. Cut the existing cambelt in two, length ways(so you have 2 narrow belts) Cut the front belt off leaving the other on. Slide the new belt on, cutting the remaing old belt off when they meet. This way you don't affect the timing. It worked for me on a Sherpa diesel.

Comment

Exactly my plan..

Comment

Seen this done on Car SOS by Fuzz, seemed to work.

Regards

Adrian

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
              For what its worth I was told of a way to change cambelts that may or may not work for you. Cut the existing cambelt in two, length ways(so you have 2 narrow belts) Cut the front belt off leaving the other on. Slide the new belt on, cutting the remaing old belt off when they meet. This way you don't affect the timing. It worked for me on a Sherpa diesel.

Comment

If it works for me and Fuzz what more can you ask for?
                Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
                Seen this done on Car SOS by Fuzz, seemed to work.

Regards

Adrian

Comment

If you do have to re-time it be careful of the auxiliary shaft timing as it can destroy the block if you get it wrong.
                  Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Working...
                  X