Marina bottom trunnion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marina bottom trunnion

I have got to replace my nearside bottom trunnion. The supplier I'm in touch with says the diameter of the thread is about 23mm but the one I have just taken off is clearly far bigger than this at about 26mm. Having taken the old trunnion off, in cleaning up the thread etc. I noticed a big nut just above the thread, needing a 34 metric spanner. I gave it a tweak and it turned taking the lower threaded spindle with it. Why have 2 rotating items? Can anyone confirm the size on their car please.
    Thanks, Franklin.
    Franklin, Leicester

Re: Marina bottom trunnion

What you have is a Walford repair trunnion made by Walford Engineering. The BIG nut you describe is actually a part of the repair kit. It is fitted to the screw part of the leg after you have thoroughly cleaned and degreased it you then super super glue the parts together, the leg to the old trunnion to the leg and then the big nut part is the new swivel, I'm sure someone will be along in a moment to correct all my mistakes, in the meantime look up everything you can on Walford Engineering Wolverhampton . IT was nearly 20years ago when I last went so I'm not guilty if they have moved or ceased to exist.

Phil

Comment

If it's the passenger side I might be able to help as I have an unmolested upright to fit a new trunion to.

Adrian

Originally posted by FranklinLeicester View Post
      I have got to replace my nearside bottom trunnion. The supplier I'm in touch with says the diameter of the thread is about 23mm but the one I have just taken off is clearly far bigger than this at about 26mm. Having taken the old trunnion off, in cleaning up the thread etc. I noticed a big nut just above the thread, needing a 34 metric spanner. I gave it a tweak and it turned taking the lower threaded spindle with it. Why have 2 rotating items? Can anyone confirm the size on their car please.
      Thanks, Franklin.

Comment

You can still buy Walford trunnions, but they fail just like the OEM ones if not properly looked after.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Thanks chaps,
          Just after I posted the message I looked up the history of this problem and what you have just told me is all there. I should have looked first!
          Anyway, Adrian, I may get back to you on your offer later when I have had a good look at the job again. The MOT man showed me the slight wear back in April and put as an advisory. I will have to see if the play is between the original thread and the adaptor or between the adaptor and the oversize trunnion.
          Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Here's a picture of the article .

I have sent you a pm.

Adrian

15488411221511549437200.jpg

Thanks chaps,
            Just after I posted the message I looked up the history of this problem and what you have just told me is all there. I should have looked first!
            Anyway, Adrian, I may get back to you on your offer later when I have had a good look at the job again. The MOT man showed me the slight wear back in April and put as an advisory. I will have to see if the play is between the original thread and the adaptor or between the adaptor and the oversize trunnion.

Comment

Thanks Adrian for your kind offer, photo and info on the Walford kit. I'll have a good look at the job later and decide what to do next. Franklin.
              Franklin, Leicester

Comment

I have taken the Walford threaded sleeve off and fitted a new original size part. It is a good solid fit with no play so I hope that sorts it. Once again, thanks for the advice.
                Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Good, good.

The offer still stands if it fails for any reason.

Regards

Adrian

I have taken the Walford threaded sleeve off and fitted a new original size part. It is a good solid fit with no play so I hope that sorts it. Once again, thanks for the advice.

Comment

Working...
                  X