stiff gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stiff gearbox

Does anyone have any experience with a type 9 gearbox that is stiff to shift?
    The gearbox is new from BGH and seems to be suffering the same problem as the old box in terms of shifting gears (especially 2nd and 3rd).
    This was not the main reason for changing the box as it was howling, but i had thought that it may have been part of the shifting problem.
    The engine is a pre 205 block. The clutch was changed with the gearbox as was the prop (no more vibrations).
    I am wondering, if when the car was put together there might have been a mismatch with flywheel or actuating arm post, or perhaps the sierra automatic clutch pedal adjuster, maybe even a worn gear lever.
    The pedal goes right to the bulkhead and the car doesn't seem to creep when disengaged. Any ideas? The car was used all over Europe previously lugging a caravan I believe so I cant see it being a component mismatch problem. Just scratching my head???
    thanks Jason

Re: stiff gearbox

Is the gear lever stiff when the engine is switched off or only when it’s running?

Comment

Maybe a change of lubricant, possibly.

Comment

Whenever my gear change is stiff I realise that I am not pushing the clutch in as far as I should. My clutch take up is near the end of the travel. Usually adjusting my driving position and technique fixes the problem.
        Paul

Comment

Many owners myself included use ATF instead of oil in the type 9.

Comment

I believe BGH used to recommend Comma semi-synth GL4 SX75W-90...might be worth giving them a call to check latest thinking..? Here's a link to an article about the T9 & BGH...oil advice is on the right of the 3rd page.

Redline MTL also seems to crop up as a suggestion in places, but whatever you use must be to GL4 spec not GL5, as the latter can cause issues with the synchros.

I'm thinking I need to change the oil in my T9 as getting it into 2nd can be an issue sometimes, but that may be the consequence of a clutchless journey back from Stoneleigh a couple of years ago..or it could just be my MGB clutch slave being a swine to bleed..!
            Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
            Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

I seem to remember something about the more modern oil will destroy the gylon coating on the synchromesh rings due to the sulphurs added to the oil.
              But in my defence I could have dreamt it when I was rebuilding my type 9 some 6 years ago.

Anyone got an old sierra service handbook it would have the oil specification for that era.

Comment

Thanks for the response folks, the oil was supplied by BGH when the gearbox was purchased so I dont think that will be the issue. Thanks V8 Pete, the gear lever is a little stiff when the engine is switched off, and I am going to recheck this, this weekend (the car is wrapped up for the worst of the winter weather). I think i can discount any gearbox internal issues as its only done a couple of thousand miles and its the heavy duty box plus the previous box had the same feel, but I think I read somewhere that the gear lever itself could be worn?
                It feels as though the clutch travel is hindered by the bulk head as the pedal touches down at full push (though it has plenty of travel).
                When the gearbox was changed over by AEON sports cars (great people by the way and recommended by BGH) the chap had a hell of a time trying to get a clean disengagement. He ended up by putting a sleeve strip in the sierra clutch Quadrant under the clutch cable to try to increase the radii of the mechanism.

Comment

I think that a number of different clutch quadrants were available and were often referred to by there colour [different colour /different radius] Believe white was biggest at 55mm but don't quote me on that! Don't discard the cable, any 'stickyness' will affect the auto adjust.

Comment

If the clutch pedal travel / actuation is suspect check that the small wire spring that controls the pawl on the quadrant is not broken or displaced and that it is free to move freely. Use a squirt of silicone spray to lubricate it. If it isn’t working properly the pawl wont engage properly in the quadrant teeth and there will be too much pedal movement before it takes up. That will cause clutch drag. Peter.

Comment

Again when using the Ford Sierra clutch pedal parts a lot of us prefer to do away with the quadrant and set up a pedal that uses the clutch cable with adjustment at the arm. There was an after market kit readily available to do this at one time. I find this a better option.

Comment

I am convinced that the Cortina system is better. A simple clutch pedal with the cable attached by the old fashioned nipple method. The outer adjusted so easily with the nut and locking nut attached to the cable outer at the gearbox. I can adjust my clutch easily through the bonnet opening if I want. The standard type nine yoke is ample for fully declutching without having to floor the clutch pedal. Within certain tolerances one can choose where your favourite bite point is. I have never liked the Sierra ratchet gubbins, I have tried it but have reverted to the simple Cortina system. I travel very long distances in UK and abroad with no trouble at all.
                        Sorry Danny, I've meandered on when you have put it concisely
                        My ancient type nine is showing signs of needing a new 3rd synchro. I'll probably do that job soon although its not a problem at the moment.
                        Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Thanks Peter. There is a click at start of travel, so you might well be on to something there. it is a white quadrant as i remember.

Comment

Something like this I guess?

Comment

I am going to have a look this weekend. Does anyone know if the yokes fulcrum pin is one length?

Comment

Working...
                              X