GT6 Based roadster track rod GT6 based

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT6 Based roadster track rod GT6 based

I hope I searched correctly and the info is not yet on the threads...
    I did brought my car to a mechanic shop. He was unable to setup the
    wheel alignement, as according to him, the track end rod were to long, and even fully screxed, the front wheels were far too much opened.
    I think that maybe the previous owner didn't dource the correct steering wheeltrack rod inner ball join or track rod end.
    Is it the original GT6 ones that are to be used. Do the part need to be customised ( I am thinking E.G. of a track rod thread lentgh enlargment. In such a case, any Idea of what is the thread dimensions).

Re: GT6 Based roadster track rod GT6 based

Just to confirm this is the green car with a UK registration ending "BAL"

If so the car has been fitted with an anti roll bar to the lower wishbone that hybrid cars don't normally have. The normal Triumph steering rack would have a
    spacer/extension on the left side(while sitting in the car) as the car is about 50mm wider that the GT6.

It is possible someone has fitted the incorrect track rod ends that are too long??

In the ebay pictures the car looks to me like it is riding high on the front suspension which has the effect of pulling the front wheels together and causing the open wheel(Toe out)
    there should also be packing shims(in red on drawing) to adjust the camber(inclination) between the lower wishbone mounts and the chassis.TR front susp_LI.jpg

A close up picture from your car of the left front steering and suspension may help to see whats wrong.
    Last edited by b_caswell; 25-02-19, 01:04 PM.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thanks for you answer, I confirm it is the BAL one, unfortunately I am too far from the car garage to make photos in a close future.
      But I have some photos I took before leaving it:
      Numéro moteur vu de loin.jpg

Resized_20190120_172656_4547.jpg

those ones were form the Ebay add:
      s-l1600 (9).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

I don't know if the photos Will help, if notwhat would be the usefull points of views?

The adjustment on the red points shown on your figure is to be made by using metal blocks. Does anything standard exist?
      Does the initial kit building instructions include this configurations, and mentions the parts required, and all the wheel alignement setup values, or do I have to warm up my brain, to define a configuration?

so happy to discuss it with marlin enthusiasts, I just can't imagine how I would have found so much knowledges by myself!

Comment

It seems your steering rack has at sometime been rebuilt using a longer left tie rod in place of the original that would use an extension.
        I appears this tie rod is too long so pushing the wheels out of alignment.
        Your idea to extend the thread may work(thread size is ½ inch UNF) but you may also have to shorten a little the tie rod so it goes further into the track rod end.

On my drawing the packing shims (in red) are just thin strips(usually only two or three at each point) that adjust the geometry but now you send the picture above I think problem solved.

Best for you would be to find a copy of a workshop manual either the Triumph copy or a "Haynes" copy
        Last edited by b_caswell; 26-02-19, 04:07 PM.
        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
        X