Wheel balance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel balance

Thanks whoever suggested it could be warped discs mine had 10thou run out clearly visible - new discs on orger will let you know if it fixes it
    Attached Files

Re: Wheel balance

Interesting! However I would still like to clock the hub mounting face for peace of mind, before a fault there ruins the new disc. Or bolt the new disc on and clock that which is probably easier.

Comment

What was the original post/problem??

Certainly need to clean up the mating faces before installing new discs.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

good tips thanks

No prob with original post - no time to look it up

Comment

Given the general tired cruddy state of front brakes I decided to overahaul back - all ok just needed a clean and a bit of grease on adjusters (but another year would have seen sticking brakes). looked up when I bough marlin it was nearlt six years ago - you forget how time passes and with the minimal use you dont get the regular maintenance demands a daily driver gets simply by wearing out. You have to do the routne maintainance and strip downs just to check.

Comment

I’ve seen it said that new brake pads without asbestos cause greater disk wear. But I am convinced that modern disks are made out of a particularly low grade steel sometimes the disks don’t even last as long as the pads. I’ve also found disks that warp and in one case crack on newish production cars.
            Paul

PS: Just because I’m paranoid it doesn’t mean they’re not out to get me.

Comment

Originally posted by milliemarlin View Post
              I’ve seen it said that new brake pads without asbestos cause greater disk wear. But I am convinced that modern disks are made out of a particularly low grade steel sometimes the disks don’t even last as long as the pads. I’ve also found disks that warp and in one case crack on newish production cars.
              Paul

PS: Just because I’m paranoid it doesn’t mean they’re not out to get me.
              Most current production cars, apart from small ones, fit vented disks, I would guess that the material specification for solid disks is different because of the different casting techniques used, but I doubt that the spec would cause excessive wear, it would soon reach the press, and the general public if there was an issue.
              Ive never seen disks wear faster than pads unless there has been an installation problem, a poorly mounted disk or a stuck hydraulic piston, or faulty calliper, leaving one pad to do all the work.
              Theoetically the annual MOT test should pick up those problems pretty quickly on a brake tester.

It’s worth having a good scout around either way.
              MOC member since 05/97
              1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
              Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

OK fitted new discs and pads - run out zero ish. vibration at 60 to 70 now significantly improved. Noticed the hub spiggot and disc bore had 8 thou clearance (as did the old ones). obviously that run out could be an issue as disc will sit on spiggot and end up be locked there by wheel with 8 thou run out. As an interim fix I did try and shim with some tape to centralise it until wheel locked it place but suspect still have a few thou out. Engineering maths not up to calculation impact of such a small run out. Will try and shim it more accurately and see hat happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan c View Post
                  OK fitted new discs and pads - run out zero ish. vibration at 60 to 70 now significantly improved. Noticed the hub spiggot and disc bore had 8 thou clearance (as did the old ones). obviously that run out could be an issue as disc will sit on spiggot and end up be locked there by wheel with 8 thou run out. As an interim fix I did try and shim with some tape to centralise it until wheel locked it place but suspect still have a few thou out. Engineering maths not up to calculation impact of such a small run out. Will try and shim it more accurately and see hat happens.
                  Cant remember if you balanced the wheel/tyres?
                  Some vibration can result from disk overheating, commonly caused by a calliper sticking, holding the pad, just in contact.
                  The closer you get to the centre line of the axle, the less significant the excentricity of components becomes, the mass of the tyre has a far greater impact.
                  MOC member since 05/97
                  1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                  1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                  Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                  The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Working...
                  X