Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Millie antiroll bar

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Millie antiroll bar 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member Alan c's Avatar
    could the position of the U clamp parts on the chasis be too far forward - not done these before this is based on applied logic :-)

2. #12 Re: Millie antiroll bar 
    Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan c View Post
    could the position of the U clamp parts on the chasis be too far forward - not done these before this is based on applied logic :-)
    Hi Alan,
    That was the conclusion I came to back in 2005 when I first put the car together. I have just measured from the TCA mounting bolt to the forward ARB mounting bolt. Not easy to measure very accurately but it is 260mm +/- 5.

Img_8624s.jpg

Img_8626s.jpg

I would be very grateful if someone could measure theirs.

I think my estimates in my last post were too simplistic. I have a suspicion that a 12mm shorter bar will fix the problem. I will take a longer look tonight.
    Paul

3. #13 Re: Millie antiroll bar 
    Club Member
    For extra brownie points if someone with ARB that is not on the car could measure the height of the ARB shoulder as shown in post #6. I would be very very pleased!
    Paul

4. #14 Re: Millie antiroll bar 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    hi Paul

Well I just took a look at the ARB that was on my Hunter which is a 24mm bar and it is marked clear as day H18, so I think the post on the other forum regards different types of ARB maybe over simplified things.

There would appear to be lots of variants in the markings, H13,H14,H24,H28 all reported on the passion ford post and mine is definitely H18 so all in all as clear as mud.

It would be good to know in practice what the marking actually means, ie does it relate to the length of the shoulder and therefore the castor position.

Sadly I have no idea what the castor was running at with that bar fitted. I have compression struts on it at the moment but may switch back to my ARB. I guess milling the bar to increase the shoulder and then using spacing washers to dial in the castor could be an option.

Sorry if I am being thick but what is the measurement you were looking for, I have the ARB off the car.

John

5. #15 Re: Millie antiroll bar 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member kahawi's Avatar
    Paul, this was my 'previous' ARB, some damage to the step and possibly bent, hence replacement. I've cleaned up both ends, and can see no visible markings at all! Best I can do to measure, as follows:-

ARB-Dim-2.jpg
    (2nd Owner of Marlin Hunter, chassis No. 157 (May 1998). Ford-based with 2.3ltr DOHC engine).

Marlin Hunter R500 ULA

6. #16 Re: Millie antiroll bar 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Paul

Had a quick look round online on this and I can't see anywhere that shows different castor choices for the ARB. Different diameters and multiple part numbers for some diameters but nothing related to castor options.

If you look at the parts catolog at https://ford.7zap.com/en/car/?view=list it shows the ARB options for the different models including diameters. If you select the broad year range and don't put in a specific variant it shows all ARB for all models for the particular year range. Interestingly it does not show differences between 4dr and 3dr.

Makes me think the differences may be just the model the ARB was fitted to. The 24mm appears to come in only one part number regardless of the model even including Cosworth.

John

7. #17 Re: Millie antiroll bar 
    Here are some more dims from the front suspension, pretty self-explanatory and might save you from wrestling with the ARB again. The ‘compression strut’ is nearly parallel to the track-rod but leans closer to the bumper at the outer end.

Caster Dims.jpg

p.s. The 455mm dim is about the same on both sides + 5mm
    Last edited by kahawi; 26-03-2019 at 12:24 PM.
    (2nd Owner of Marlin Hunter, chassis No. 157 (May 1998). Ford-based with 2.3ltr DOHC engine).

Marlin Hunter R500 ULA

8. #18 Re: Millie antiroll bar 
    Club Member
    Thanks kahawi and John,
    The ARB measurement I would like can be measured by placing the ARB on the ground leaning against a cupboard or wall. It is easiest to lean the flat side against the wall hold it there with a wedge under the bottom.

Img_8630s.jpg

Then measure from the ground to the midpoint on the TCA positioning shoulder. Kahawi’s looks to be about 317 mine is 320. I was hoping to find about 12mm difference. Does that rule measure from 0?

These are from the bent estate one.

Img_8629s.jpg

Img_8632s.jpg

My estate car one is 312 off side and 325 near side, 13mm difference. Unfortunately, I did not have anything to measure the caster angle before I took it off. I know the near side was way out but I don’t think the off side was good either.

I estimate the Sierra suspension leg to be about 400mm long, about 600 from the top mounting to the bottom ball joint. That would mean an increase of 12 mm on the ARB would increase the caster by about 1 degree. There seems to be a notion that a bigger caster is better for stability and a good thing on power steering cars. I suspect there is quite a wide tolerance on the Sierras and even with the wrong size you would be hard put to feel a difference. . Assuming the body mountings are the same for all versions it looks like the caster angle is increasing with the weight of the car.

The second measurement is from the back of the TCA mounting face to the centre of the front U mounting bolt. I need both hands to do it so I can't hold the camera. I am trying to make sure the ARB U-bracket mounting plate is in the right place.

I took her out for a spin this morning and on a straight smooth road she drives as well as before. Everything else is a setback.
    Paul

9. #19 Re: Millie antiroll bar 
    Being rather more careful and jacking the ARB up flat against the wall, with an 8mm 'foot' to allow for the 'end' of the rule, surprisingly I get the same on both ends at 322mm:-

Both.jpg

Marlin Hunter R500 ULA

10. #20 Re: Millie antiroll bar 

Marlin Hunter R500 ULA