Wind deflectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wind deflectors

Hi bought some 4mm polycarb on ebay I have the hinges, can anyone help with sizes and how do I cut the poly please, many thanks. Ray.

Re: Wind deflectors

Can't advise on sizes, but. If you don’t have a fine-bladed bandsaw, then a very fine-toothed jigsaw might do it. We used to use paraffin to lubricate Perspex to stop it melting for cutting and drilling and also it helps to stop it splitting/crazing along the edge, you’ll need to support the sheet very close to the cut.

Plenty of tape to protect the surface is wise, leaving the protective sheeting on, if it has any.

For drilling, don’t use a new, sharp drill, run a stone along the cutting edge(s) to ‘blunt’ the drill very slightly, it stops it from snatching (good for brass too) and again, paraffin to lubricate, wise idea to practise on some scrap first.

Assuming you don’t have a milling-machine, It was possible to use a sharp woodworking plane to get a smooth straight edge, you might experiment with a variable speed router, since polycarbonate shouldn’t melt?

A well soaped buffing-mop should polish the smoothed cut edges, Brasso also worked well.
    Good luck!
    Marlin Hunter R500 ULA 1997 Ford-Based Hunter with 2.3 DOHC L4 engine, chassis/kit No. 157

Comment

Take a look at the Tech Tips section , plenty of info there on shape/sizes that work. As above on cutting, fine blade jigsaw will do it.

Comment

I made a new set of Wind Deflectors for my Roadster out of 6mm polycarbonate, I think 4mm is too thin. I cut mine with a bandsaw and then trimmed them with a coarse, then fine file, finishing off with dry Wet/Dry paper. My Deflectors were fitted with angled aluminium brackets bolted to the windscreen frame. I have an old one from which I could draw a copy and send to you, if you sent me a Personal Message. David Martin.

Comment

Hi thanks now sorted with wind deflectors thanks to David Martin.

Comment

Working...
          X