Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from Plymouth

Hello all,

I'm a new member down in Plymouth, Devon - the home of the Marlin. I've been looking for my first Marlin car for a while now.

I'm off to view this one tomorrow morning and wondered if it was known to anyone on here?

IMG_1491.jpg

It's got an distinctive hole in the front cowl that I've not seen on any other car.

Any info or advice gratefully received.

Kelton

Re: Greetings from Plymouth

My Triumph Herald based Roadster had a "Dummy Radiator Cap" fitted by Derek Giles when he built the car back in 1981. Picture hopefully attached. David.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Kelton
      The only archive pictures we have are these, no hole in front cowl top(presumably cut to enable a radiator top up) and also no anti roll bar !

I don't know the date of the (ebay sale) pictures, they're probably a few years old, two appear taken at the same place and the third has the exhaust on the other side ! I believe the car now has a twin carb 2 litre Ford Pinto engine

The chassis number quoted for the car is obviously a made up VIN number, but if you could try to get the Marlin kit number(see pic for where to look) I can check the archive for you. Good Luck with the viewing, and any current pics would be appreciated for the archive

Rgds DC
      Attached Files
      Last edited by dcunn; 27-03-19, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Kit number 2690. Pics to follow.

Comment

Good luck. I love the bonnet top louvres, are they punched in or grafted in ?

Comment

Once the mist cleared this morning it was a lovely day to drive down and view the car.

Here are a few pics.

car 2.JPG

Nice looking car.

car.JPG

Trials rear end.

exhaust.JPG

No room for a proper air filter without a bonnet cut out.

carb.JPG

K&N Super flow!

carb 2.JPG

Battery box.

battery.JPG

Pedals.

pedals.JPG

Comment

Might it have had a recent respray? Run it and enjoy it for the Summer while planning improvements for the winter. Would this be the Roadster in Pitstop?

Comment

Yes, this is the Roadster from Pitstop. I can think of a few of winter projects that need doing!

The lack of MOT and the asking price are currently putting me off. Going to sleep on it...

Comment

I hadn't noticed the price. A bit on the high side methinks for a pretty trials car. As a matter of interest does it have the van diff? Lots of low down power and not a lot of top speed. An MOT to make sure it is not a pretty money pit. Good luck sleep well!

Comment

Thanks Kelton, chassis number noted

Should you buy the car I will send you a little detail on the first two owners

Rgds DC

Comment

Looking at the Rack on the back it either was or was being set up as a Trials Car, may want to check the Rear Diff as a lot of Trials cars had the Marina Van Diff fitted which may not be great for touring
                      Stapley Bryan

Comment

Good point about the diff. I was told the axel is from an MGB?

It’s got a type 9 gearbox but without an MOT it wasn’t possible to get up any kind of speed to see how tall/sort the gearing is.

Comment

As far as I can remember the front louvres looked as though they had been punched in, but the rear louvres were a plate rivetted in. David.

Comment

Working...
                          X