Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: GT6 Based overheating

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. #11 Re: GT6 Based overheating 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Difficult to see on your photos but the large pipe on the bottom on the expansion tank must be connected to the "suck" side of the water pump -
    or at least must be closer to the suck side than the small hose that goes into the top of the expansion tank

2. #12 Re: GT6 Based overheating 
    regular forum contributor Club Member
    Hello,

I will check it ASAP. ,you should be able to enlarge the photos by clicking on it.
    Regarding the oil I found into the coolant, icould it by any chance come from a leak on the gasket here under?

3. #13 Re: GT6 Based overheating 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member greyV8pete's Avatar
    With overheating I would put all my money on a head gasket failure. If it has also affected the gasket near an oil way then with oil pressure considerably higher than coolant that would account for your oil in the coolant. When reassembling pay careful attention to the manufacturers tighening sequence and torque figures as well as any recommended later rechecking of torque figures. I always use a lower torque figure to start with and keep going round the tightening sequence with a 10 lb/ft increase until the final figure is reached. Peter.

4. #14 Re: GT6 Based overheating 
    uh... If I have to change the head gasket, I have seen there are several kits available.
    This one even includes the valves: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RG1022R2BKGT63
    But there are no studs. those don't need to e changed when changing the head gasket?

Is there a way to be a 100% sure to have the correct gasket ref after the motor serial number?
    Last edited by leklek; 09-04-2019 at 12:27 PM.

5. #15 Re: GT6 Based overheating 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    I would give as much information as you can to Rimmer Bros. There are several headgaskets to chose from.

Changing studs in my opinion is not really important.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

6. #16 Re: GT6 Based overheating 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    These are older motors - the studs should not need to be changed

In some (most?) newer engines the bolts are actually permanently stretched when you torque the head down and have to be replaced after one use

7. #17 Re: GT6 Based overheating 
    cylinder head is currently treated in the workshop (Leaks test), all necessary parts ordered.on the motorclock side of the head gasket, the surface was a bit dirty... coud be a source of leaks, if the gasket had been putted on a surface like this....

8. #18 Re: GT6 Based overheating 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    I presume that Motorclock is a distributor?
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

9. #19 Re: GT6 Based overheating 
    oups I meant motor block...