X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminium Suspension Covers

Hi all

facebook_1554204212311.jpg

I have just finished painting the fibreglass bits and have decided to keep all aluminium bits as they are.

The only issue for me is the fibreglass suspension covers.

Has anyone ever had them made up in aluminium?

Regards

Adrian
    Last edited by listerjp2; 02-04-19, 11:53 AM.

Re: Aluminium Suspension Covers

You have probably got it covered but just in case - make sure you cover the aluminium with some sort of clear etched primer and then several coats of a suitable topcoat. If you don't you will very soon end up with an oxidised (powdery) surface. How about some hot-rod flames emanating from he cowl

All the best

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by keith_h View Post
      You have probably got it covered but just in case - make sure you cover the aluminium with some sort of clear etched primer and then several coats of a suitable topcoat. If you don't you will very soon end up with an oxidised (powdery) surface. How about some hot-rod flames emanating from he cowl

All the best

Keith
      Thinking outside the box, if you go down to the hardware shop in Cosy Corner (Hazlemere) he carries a huge range of baking tins - you might well find something with a double flange that you could adapt

Comment

Yep, will do

Adrian

Originally posted by keith_h View Post

All the best

Keith

Comment

Spray them with a matching silver paint.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

That's what I thought but the misses said it will look rubbish.

Regards

Adrian

Comment

Hi Adrian
              If you want an Aluminium look to the suspension covers, have you considered an Aluminium self adhesive wrap?

I've just had a quick look and came across :
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silver-St...frcectupt=true

If this sort of thing is of interest, research your options as this was just a quick search for you.
              Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; 03-04-19, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Not a bad idea, will give me a cheap way of looking to see if it looks OK.

Adrian

Originally posted by Ye Ol Ripper View Post
                Hi Adrian
                If you want an Aluminium look to the suspension covers, have you considered an Aluminium self adhesive wrap?

I've just had a quick look and came across :

If this sort of thing is of interest, research your options as this was just a quick search for you.

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
                  Not a bad idea, will give me a cheap way of looking to see if it looks OK.

Adrian
                  I've got a heat gun 'designed to work with' vinyl wrap you can borrow if you need to. I've also got some left over wrap in dark green if you want a test piece first.

Maybe you should pop over one evening with one of the panels, we can see if it works.

David.
                  - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                  - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                  - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                  - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                  - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                    I've got a heat gun 'designed to work with' vinyl wrap you can borrow if you need to. I've also got some left over wrap in dark green if you want a test piece first.

Maybe you should pop over one evening with one of the panels, we can see if it works.

David.
                    Will do. Will give you a bell over the weekend

Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
                      Will do. Will give you a bell over the weekend

Adrian
                      Out Sunday, at Bromyard Speed Festival, got the Alfa entered!
                      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

OK maybe not this weekend then as I am helping my mate with his MGB Roadster.

I'll pick up with you next week.

Adrian

Originally posted by David View Post
                        Out Sunday, at Bromyard Speed Festival, got the Alfa entered!

Comment

Working...
                        X