Wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wheel bearings

I have the same 'grinding' noise emanating from the nearside front, only when hot after driving long distance which is stopped by 'damping' the foot on the brake.
    Also interestingly it has occurred when I return home and use full right lock onto the drive. There is evidence (Adrian Newey) that the movement of flexible brake pipes can cause a slight pressure increase and thus the application of the brake!
    The last time car was checked there was no bearing movement nor can I detect any!
    So today, its going to be sunny, I plan to investigate further:
    a) look at bearing, may need a tad of tightening
    b) clean brakes
    c) look at piston movement to ensure they are retracting correctly
    Brian

Learning more about:
    June '73 Marina based Mk2 Roadster
    1800 TC; 4 speed gearbox; 4.55:1 differential with 4.5pcd (the rare one!)

Another interest -www.somersetschoolsathletics.org.uk
    And another - 'Tractor Doctors' skittle team

Comment

Originally posted by Skittler View Post
      I have the same 'grinding' noise emanating from the nearside front, only when hot after driving long distance which is stopped by 'damping' the foot on the brake.
      Also interestingly it has occurred when I return home and use full right lock onto the drive. There is evidence (Adrian Newey) that the movement of flexible brake pipes can cause a slight pressure increase and thus the application of the brake!
      The last time car was checked there was no bearing movement nor can I detect any!
      So today, its going to be sunny, I plan to investigate further:
      a) look at bearing, may need a tad of tightening
      b) clean brakes
      c) look at piston movement to ensure they are retracting correctly
      Do not overtighten the front bearings, do the job as the BL manual describes.
      0.001” to 0.005” free play is required, not preloaded.
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Thanks Steve
        But now sure it's not bearings - every indication of a sticking piston
        I remember overhauling them when I first got car; probably needs a good deep clean/overhaul.
        Tantalizingly the car rolls easily down a slight slope so it looks like the small increase in heat during a journey is just enough!
        Brian

Learning more about:

Comment

Always worth a strip down and check especially on a car that may not move for three months or so.
          MOC member since 05/97
          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Nearside all done; just need my son to return from work to bleed the brakes.
            There was indeed water ingress shown by what I will call 'soft rust' on the piston. Most of it easily wiped off with cloth before a really good clean.
            But I couldn't get the piston to budge when the caliper was off so had to use the friendly garage's airline again fro a bit of wellie.
            Wheel is now turning very smoothly and certainly no bearing noise or 'wobble'.
            Brian

Learning more about:

Comment

Working...
            X