Wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel bearings

Can anybody tell me the Timken Part # for Marina inner and outer wheel bearings, the local parts stores do not list Marinas but have told me if I give them the timken # they shoul be able to get them
    Thanks
    Michael

Re: Wheel bearings

The Marina parts book only shows the BL part number.

Normally there are numbers on the edge of the bearing and the outer race that quite often relate to the dimensions.

This site has a matching chart which may help.

Wych Bearings - Buy Online. Bearing Supplier, Housed Bearings, Oil Seals, Adhesives, Lubricants, Roller Chains, Sprockets and Engineering Supplies. Service from your local Bearing Supplier, Nationwide.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi Michael,
      If it helps, my '86 Roadster, (Marina based), rear wheel bearing kit on e bay was FBK019,
      I/D 25mm
      O/D 62mm
      W 16 mm
      I replaced one side a couple of years ago. An absolute b....r to get the hub off from what I remember. Had to carefully angle grind the outer race off and remove the balls one by one to remove the hub. Gareth.

Comment

Originally posted by michael47 View Post
        Can anybody tell me the Timken Part # for Marina inner and outer wheel bearings, the local parts stores do not list Marinas but have told me if I give them the timken # they shoul be able to get them
        Thanks
        Michael
        The front wheel bearings are tapered. If set up in accordance with the workshop manual they will have a little play, between 0.001” and 0.005”, difficult to measure without a Dial Test Indicator.

In the UK, often MOT annual inspection will fail because of excessive play. This is because they compare to a modern car. Refer the tester to the workshop manual if that is your case.
        If you overtighten the wheel bearings, they will simply wear faster.

Unfortunately I cannot help with Timken part numbers except to quote BL part numbers which won’t take you much further forward.

As Ben says, the bearings are invariably marked with a manufacturers part number, not the BL part number, but you will have to dismantle to read them, at which point you will have the bearings in your hand that can then be cross referenced with your parts store.
        Last edited by stevejgreen; 07-04-19, 11:56 AM. Reason: typo
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by Gareth View Post
          Hi Michael,
          If it helps, my '86 Roadster, (Marina based), rear wheel bearing kit on e bay was FBK019,
          I/D 25mm
          O/D 62mm
          W 16 mm
          I replaced one side a couple of years ago. An absolute b....r to get the hub off from what I remember. Had to carefully angle grind the outer race off and remove the balls one by one to remove the hub. Gareth.
          Marina rear wheel hubs/bearings can be a pain. Best to use a 25 ton hydraulic press. Don’t be tempted to heat them, you could destroy the temper on the half shafts, resulting in premature catastrophic failure.
          MOC member since 05/97
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

The front bearing kit (inner, outer & seal) is GHK1004 and is common to the Triumph TR7.
            Same is true for the rear bearing kit, GHK1030, which is used in the TR7 4-speed models.

Your One Stop Shop For All Your British Automotive Parts. Order Online Today! We Have The British Auto Parts That You Are Searching For. Order Today! No Sales Tax. Fast, Courteous Service. Rich Selections. Order Hard To Find Parts. Family Owned & Operated. Fast Shipping.

If all else fails Rimmer Bros in the UK will ship overseas.
            Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
            Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_red_roadster View Post
              The front bearing kit (inner, outer & seal) is GHK1004 and is common to the Triumph TR7.
              Same is true for the rear bearing kit, GHK1030, which is used in the TR7 4-speed models.

Your One Stop Shop For All Your British Automotive Parts. Order Online Today! We Have The British Auto Parts That You Are Searching For. Order Today! No Sales Tax. Fast, Courteous Service. Rich Selections. Order Hard To Find Parts. Family Owned & Operated. Fast Shipping.

If all else fails Rimmer Bros in the UK will ship overseas.
              Shipping costs Canada- UK can be variable. Mostly from across the pond VAT+ is chargeable. Brexit could change anything.
              Last edited by stevejgreen; 07-04-19, 04:37 PM.
              MOC member since 05/97

Comment

That sounds painful to me!! ; - ))

Comment

Wow so much help ! Thank you I will go back to the parts store with this info and see if they can get me new bearings

Comment

Hi got mine from Bearing Traders

£25 both sides and found a friendly garage who pressed them on for £10.

Make sure you note the distance they have to be pressed on as this is VERY important.

By the way they will ship abroad.

Ask first, I think you will find them reasonable.

Regards

Adrian

Originally posted by michael47 View Post
                    Wow so much help ! Thank you I will go back to the parts store with this info and see if they can get me new bearings

Comment

This might help if you have not already downloaded it. Here or there
                      MOC member since 05/97

Comment

When a wheel bearing is at its end of life in my other cars, there is a distinct drone noise that comes from that corner of the vehicle and the wheel when rocked vertically & horizontally shows some play. Last year I mentioned a groaning noise coming from the back and initially thought it was from the rear axle but others here suggested it was the rear wheel bearings. Given this topic - when you know your rear wheel bearings are going - is it the same drone sound above a certain speed (as in with other modern cars) or - is it like mine; not the drone but more of a cyclic groan sound - almost as though one of the brake drums has become ovular & a shoe is binding with every wheel turn. It seems to happen more often when after a long run or when the brakes have been used and maybe they got a bit hot. A stamp on the brake pedal and the sound instantly stops momentarily but returns in due course... I am beginning to think it is a brake issue and not a wheel bearing.. I haven't had the opportunity to look at it yet but this weekend I'll be out & when the noise is present, on returning home I'll jack it up and remove the wheel (suspect rear offside) then try to check the drum and remove it for an inspection. Maybe it just needs new shoes or there's a spring broken etc.. This sound has come and gone for the last 3 summers..

Comment

In engineering terms there is a massive difference between taper roller bearings and ball bearings. The way in which they wear is very different.
                          Modern cars tend to use ball bearings so have a different performance and characteristics to taper roller bearings.

Fronts on a Marina based car are tapered, rears balls, threat them differentlly.
                          MOC member since 05/97

Comment

I guess therefore if I jack it up and try to wobble the wheel - if it has movement then it is the bearings if it doesn't then it's likely to be the brakes..

Comment

You should be able to feel the bearing rumble when revolving the wheel by hand.

Another problem can be the bearing moving slightly on the shaft allowing the brake drum to rub against the brake shoes.

If you fit a new bearing don't forget to pack it with grease as its not( as some think) lubricated by the axle oil.
                              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
                              X