Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Wheel bearings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. #1 Wheel bearings 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Can anybody tell me the Timken Part # for Marina inner and outer wheel bearings, the local parts stores do not list Marinas but have told me if I give them the timken # they shoul be able to get them
    Thanks
    Michael

2. #2 Re: Wheel bearings 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member b_caswell's Avatar
    The Marina parts book only shows the BL part number.

Normally there are numbers on the edge of the bearing and the outer race that quite often relate to the dimensions.

This site has a matching chart which may help.

http://www.wychbearings.co.uk/tapere...SACEgLK0fD_BwE
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

3. #3 Re: Wheel bearings 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member Gareth's Avatar
    Hi Michael,
    If it helps, my '86 Roadster, (Marina based), rear wheel bearing kit on e bay was FBK019,
    I/D 25mm
    O/D 62mm
    W 16 mm
    I replaced one side a couple of years ago. An absolute b....r to get the hub off from what I remember. Had to carefully angle grind the outer race off and remove the balls one by one to remove the hub. Gareth.

4. #4 Re: Wheel bearings 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by michael47 View Post
    Can anybody tell me the Timken Part # for Marina inner and outer wheel bearings, the local parts stores do not list Marinas but have told me if I give them the timken # they shoul be able to get them
    Thanks
    Michael
    The front wheel bearings are tapered. If set up in accordance with the workshop manual they will have a little play, between 0.001” and 0.005”, difficult to measure without a Dial Test Indicator.

In the UK, often MOT annual inspection will fail because of excessive play. This is because they compare to a modern car. Refer the tester to the workshop manual if that is your case.
    If you overtighten the wheel bearings, they will simply wear faster.

Unfortunately I cannot help with Timken part numbers except to quote BL part numbers which won’t take you much further forward.

As Ben says, the bearings are invariably marked with a manufacturers part number, not the BL part number, but you will have to dismantle to read them, at which point you will have the bearings in your hand that can then be cross referenced with your parts store.
    Last edited by stevejgreen; 07-04-2019 at 11:56 AM. Reason: typo
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

5. #5 Re: Wheel bearings 
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
    Hi Michael,
    If it helps, my '86 Roadster, (Marina based), rear wheel bearing kit on e bay was FBK019,
    I/D 25mm
    O/D 62mm
    W 16 mm
    I replaced one side a couple of years ago. An absolute b....r to get the hub off from what I remember. Had to carefully angle grind the outer race off and remove the balls one by one to remove the hub. Gareth.
    Marina rear wheel hubs/bearings can be a pain. Best to use a 25 ton hydraulic press. Don’t be tempted to heat them, you could destroy the temper on the half shafts, resulting in premature catastrophic failure.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

6. #6 Re: Wheel bearings 
    The front bearing kit (inner, outer & seal) is GHK1004 and is common to the Triumph TR7.
    Same is true for the rear bearing kit, GHK1030, which is used in the TR7 4-speed models.

https://www.bpnorthwest.com/triumph/...t-tr7-tr8.html

If all else fails Rimmer Bros in the UK will ship overseas.
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

7. #7 Re: Wheel bearings 
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_red_roadster View Post
    The front bearing kit (inner, outer & seal) is GHK1004 and is common to the Triumph TR7.
    Same is true for the rear bearing kit, GHK1030, which is used in the TR7 4-speed models.

https://www.bpnorthwest.com/triumph/...t-tr7-tr8.html

If all else fails Rimmer Bros in the UK will ship overseas.
    Shipping costs Canada- UK can be variable. Mostly from across the pond VAT+ is chargeable. Brexit could change anything.
    Last edited by stevejgreen; 07-04-2019 at 04:37 PM.
    MOC member since 05/97

8. #8 Re: Wheel bearings 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member Tony Stott's Avatar

That sounds painful to me!! ; - ))

9. #9 Re: Wheel bearings 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Wow so much help ! Thank you I will go back to the parts store with this info and see if they can get me new bearings

10. #10 Re: Wheel bearings 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member listerjp2's Avatar
    Hi got mine from Bearing Traders

https://bearingtraders.com

£25 both sides and found a friendly garage who pressed them on for £10.

Make sure you note the distance they have to be pressed on as this is VERY important.

By the way they will ship abroad.

Ask first, I think you will find them reasonable.

Regards

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by michael47 View Post
    Wow so much help ! Thank you I will go back to the parts store with this info and see if they can get me new bearings