Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster 1" (25mm) Flat Rubber Trim that the bonnet shuts onto

Hi
    My trim needs replacing , does anyone have any that's left over from a role that I could purchase from and collect from Stoneleigh please?

I think I need 4x 56cm lengths of the 25mm width trim . It fits onto both the windcreen panel & the front nose cone.

Any idea what the correct original thickness was as mine has now flattened out over time?

I was looking at the following but I won't need 5m

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOLID-NEO...r=420336731008

Thanks
    Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; 10-04-19, 04:07 PM.

Re: Roadster 1" (25mm) Flat Rubber Trim that the bonnet shuts onto

I am watching the same item on eBay. At £6 for 5 meters is pretty good value.
    I am far from the stage in my rebuild to needing it though.

Comment

On my Berlinetta the tape is more textile than rubber. I could imagine that a solid rubber might be too hard -> noisy
      (its not easy to touch it via the internet...)
      Just as an idea to think about:
      https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/category/136/bonnet-tape or just "bonnet tape" as search input.

Mine is more like:

I have seen this kind of tape with one side "glue-gun" type glue on one side.
      Regards Roman

Comment

Hi romeks44
        The problem I have with the original rubber stuff from when the car was built is that it is very thin and doesn't touch the underside of the bonnet at the windscreen end all the way along. This means when it rains water runs down off the screen panel over the rubber and drips onto the engine bay scuttle. Water then drips on my right foot and is likely to have made it through the gap around the steering column and tits fixing framework. Its only about 3 drips every 1/2 hour but I am hoping to cure this with a new flat rubber.
        The current rubber thickness is 1.5mm and a 2mm strip will probably work however,
        I am wondering if a 2mm rubber thick strip will struggle to follow the curved profile of the panel & Bonnet profile?

With the material you have used in your link above, does that stop the rain from getting in around the top of the bulkhead ok?
        Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; 11-04-19, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Just had a look at the old rubber that I had removed during strip down which is 1.7mm which was probably 2mm when first used.
          Neoprene rubber should be more flexible than normal rubber and I think would be more suitable.

Comment

As a temporary measure you could use some of the foam draught excluder on top of the old rubber to make sure that is where the water is getting in.

Comment

Hi
              Thanks for confirming what I thought was 2mm was correct. Good Idea, I have some foam draft excluder that I can add to the existing. I measured the total lenghts required being 57cm x2 pieces & 38cm x2 pieces= 1.9m Total length required.

I have contacted the ebay seller and am awaiting a reply if I can purchase 2m instead of 5m from them .

I will advise if they can supply a smaller quantity.
              Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; 11-04-19, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X