Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Roadster 1.3 A series radiator

1. #1 Roadster 1.3 A series radiator 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    I think I have asked this question before and sure others have.
    After bodywork I will need to get on with cooling.
    My roadster 1.3 A series was originally built using the classic Mini radiator but I am sure this won’t be sufficient and I am not sure it doesn’t leak, it looks in good condition.
    The build manual says to use the Vauxhall Viva radiator but these are serious cash now. I have heard that the Honda Civic radiator is a good choice but would need to adapt the pipework, I understand I will need to adapt it anyway along with brackets, I would also like to fit an expansion tank.
    I would appreciate any advice on which radiator accompanied by your photos would be great.
    Cheers, Martin.
    1275 Marina/Ital based LWB Roadster in the process of a ground up rebuild.

2. #2 Re: Roadster 1.3 A series radiator 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member b_caswell's Avatar
    You would need to check the dimensions but something like this should do the job.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292193781880?ul_noapp=true
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

3. #3 Re: Roadster 1.3 A series radiator 
    Thanks Ben, just quickly checked and that one is slightly smaller than the classic Mini rad although it is twin core.

4. #4 Re: Roadster 1.3 A series radiator 
    Hi
    The mini radiator was enough to cool a 1275 with shall I say dubius airflow mounted sideways in the mini - with the massively better airflow in the Roadster I would expect it not to be an issue

If it is an issue because your one is old and partially clogged then getting a new core fitted would fix it

5. #5 Re: Roadster 1.3 A series radiator 
    Hello Martin, I have not replied before as neglected to send my subs in and was banned from posting. I have fitted the civic alloy rad to my 1700 chassis as on my posts getting a roadster though iva. I do not know if you would have the same space issues with the mini engine version, there are 2 other routes you could investigate 1/ get one of the mini mags and see the price of a 3 core uprated mini rad 2/ get get a standard civic rad which will be thinner than the alloy version, you are probably aware they are the same for the 1.4-2.0 litre engines, when I last looked they were about £35.00 on flee bay. I am in week st mary if you want to check the fit of the rad.

Cheers

Phil

6. #6 Re: Roadster 1.3 A series radiator 
    Thanks Phil,
    Just had a look at your thread and there isn’t any difference between our chassis in front of the steering rack.
    I may do the same as the civic rad is bigger than the classic Mini rad.
    Cheers, Martin.