Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Historic at last

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. #1 Historic at last 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member listerjp2's Avatar
    Today is a big day for the old girl, she is a Historic Vehicle.

Wahhooo

Absolutely simple, went to main Post Office presented V5 and bobs your uncle.

Had the feeling that I should have paid but got over that as soon as I walked out of the door.

Adrian

2. #2 Re: Historic at last 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Yay, mines the same. Free road tax, what about MOT? Will take mine down for MOT (when eventually ready) so the boys can have a play.
    1275 Marina/Ital based LWB Roadster in the process of a ground up rebuild.

3. #3 Re: Historic at last 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member Patrick's Avatar
    Very interesting, I’d read the free tax and no mot wouldn’t apply to kit cars. Something to look forward to in a while for the Sportster. My date of first reg is Jan 1988 (donor year) on the V5 and reg date 2005 (registration as a kit after the SVA). Not entirely sure which one the DVLA would consider the actual year.

4. #4 Re: Historic at last 
    They went by my donor year, 1976, no problem. I've had it MOT'd once since then for my own benefit, clean pass, so may not bother next time.

5. #5 Re: Historic at last 
    In my case I had just paid the tax and then had a letter from the DVLA with a few basic questions to answer. Shortly after that I had another letter saying the car was now a 'historic vehicle' and a full refund of the tax.

6. #6 Re: Historic at last 
    I don't know who thought of the idea, I think it's mad.

I will definitely be getting an MOT done every year.

I know that a lot of people say it's only valid on the day it's produce but another set of eyes on the old girl will give me a little confidence.

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by meverett View Post
    Yay, mines the same. Free road tax, what about MOT? Will take mine down for MOT (when eventually ready) so the boys can have a play.

7. #7 Re: Historic at last 
    I had a chat with the chap who does my MOT's and he was of the opinion that , especially if laid up for the winter, at least a check over on the ramp would be a good idea.

8. #8 Re: Historic at last 
    I agree.

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by h_m_cumming View Post
    I had a chat with the chap who does my MOT's and he was of the opinion that , especially if laid up for the winter, at least a check over on the ramp would be a good idea.

9. #9 Re: Historic at last 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member Tony Stott's Avatar
    Its a bit like here in France, when a car reaches 30 years of age there is a need to change its documentation to join the Vehicle de Collection grouping - did that with the Berly to get a French Registration, which dictated that I had to get a CT (French MOT) after 2 years - that's the French system also, new cars after 4 yrs then ever 2 yrs thereafter. With the new CT the necessity for a CT was then reduced to every 5 yrs - sensible or what?, I intend to continue every year to 1.5 yrs just for personal peace of mind!

10. #10 Re: Historic at last 
    I haven't come across anyone within my gaggle of friends with a historic car who wouldn't have their car MOT'D.

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stott View Post
    Its a bit like here in France, when a car reaches 30 years of age there is a need to change its documentation to join the Vehicle de Collection grouping - did that with the Berly to get a French Registration, which dictated that I had to get a CT (French MOT) after 2 years - that's the French system also, new cars after 4 yrs then ever 2 yrs thereafter. With the new CT the necessity for a CT was then reduced to every 5 yrs - sensible or what?, I intend to continue every year to 1.5 yrs just for personal peace of mind!