Historic at last

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historic at last

Today is a big day for the old girl, she is a Historic Vehicle.

Wahhooo

Absolutely simple, went to main Post Office presented V5 and bobs your uncle.

Had the feeling that I should have paid but got over that as soon as I walked out of the door.

Adrian

Re: Historic at last

Yay, mines the same. Free road tax, what about MOT? Will take mine down for MOT (when eventually ready) so the boys can have a play.

Comment

Very interesting, I’d read the free tax and no mot wouldn’t apply to kit cars. Something to look forward to in a while for the Sportster. My date of first reg is Jan 1988 (donor year) on the V5 and reg date 2005 (registration as a kit after the SVA). Not entirely sure which one the DVLA would consider the actual year.
      BMW E30 Sportster 2005 - M20B28 - Build Log and Updates http://www.msportster.co.uk/
      http://www.modelog.co.uk/
      http://www.mustang67.co.uk/

Comment

They went by my donor year, 1976, no problem. I've had it MOT'd once since then for my own benefit, clean pass, so may not bother next time.

Comment

In my case I had just paid the tax and then had a letter from the DVLA with a few basic questions to answer. Shortly after that I had another letter saying the car was now a 'historic vehicle' and a full refund of the tax.

Comment

I don't know who thought of the idea, I think it's mad.

I will definitely be getting an MOT done every year.

I know that a lot of people say it's only valid on the day it's produce but another set of eyes on the old girl will give me a little confidence.

Adrian

Originally posted by meverett View Post
            Yay, mines the same. Free road tax, what about MOT? Will take mine down for MOT (when eventually ready) so the boys can have a play.

Comment

I had a chat with the chap who does my MOT's and he was of the opinion that , especially if laid up for the winter, at least a check over on the ramp would be a good idea.

Comment

I agree.

Adrian

Originally posted by h_m_cumming View Post
                I had a chat with the chap who does my MOT's and he was of the opinion that , especially if laid up for the winter, at least a check over on the ramp would be a good idea.

Comment

Its a bit like here in France, when a car reaches 30 years of age there is a need to change its documentation to join the Vehicle de Collection grouping - did that with the Berly to get a French Registration, which dictated that I had to get a CT (French MOT) after 2 years - that's the French system also, new cars after 4 yrs then ever 2 yrs thereafter. With the new CT the necessity for a CT was then reduced to every 5 yrs - sensible or what?, I intend to continue every year to 1.5 yrs just for personal peace of mind!

Comment

I haven't come across anyone within my gaggle of friends with a historic car who wouldn't have their car MOT'D.

Adrian

Originally posted by Tony Stott View Post
                    Its a bit like here in France, when a car reaches 30 years of age there is a need to change its documentation to join the Vehicle de Collection grouping - did that with the Berly to get a French Registration, which dictated that I had to get a CT (French MOT) after 2 years - that's the French system also, new cars after 4 yrs then ever 2 yrs thereafter. With the new CT the necessity for a CT was then reduced to every 5 yrs - sensible or what?, I intend to continue every year to 1.5 yrs just for personal peace of mind!

Comment

Mine is historic and now MOT free and used throughout the year,weather permitting.
                      Thankfully I have a very friendly garage who essentially check it over yearly (probably a pre-MOT test) for my own peace of mind.
                      (It's the sort of garage where I can just turn up and use their air line to check tyre pressures. Priceless.)
                      Brian

Learning more about:
                      June '73 Marina based Mk2 Roadster
                      1800 TC; 4 speed gearbox; 4.55:1 differential with 4.5pcd (the rare one!)

Another interest -www.somersetschoolsathletics.org.uk
                      And another - 'Tractor Doctors' skittle team

Comment

I have one just like that to.

Dieing breed.

Use them or lose them.

Adrian

Originally posted by Skittler View Post
                        Mine is historic and now MOT free and used throughout the year,weather permitting.
                        Thankfully I have a very friendly garage who essentially check it over yearly (probably a pre-MOT test) for my own peace of mind.
                        (It's the sort of garage where I can just turn up and use their air line to check tyre pressures. Priceless.)

Comment

My borther has a 67 Mustang, he gets an MOT every year too. It's peice of mind that a 3rd party has check it over once a year
                          BMW E30 Sportster 2005 - M20B28 - Build Log and Updates http://www.msportster.co.uk/
                          http://www.modelog.co.uk/
                          http://www.mustang67.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
                            Today is a big day for the old girl, she is a Historic Vehicle.

Wahhooo

Absolutely simple, went to main Post Office presented V5 and bobs your uncle.

Had the feeling that I should have paid but got over that as soon as I walked out of the door.

Adrian
                            Well done.
                            - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                            - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                            - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                            - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                            - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
                              I haven't come across anyone within my gaggle of friends with a historic car who wouldn't have their car MOT'D.

Adrian
                              That reminds me I need to contact your guy to get JRR run through the test.

I'll be working on the car Friday and Saturday if you want to swing by.
                              Last edited by David; 18-04-19, 09:30 PM.
                              - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                              - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                              - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                              - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                              - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Working...
                              X