Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Check you upper wishbone mount rods now and again, plus new bushes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Check you upper wishbone mount rods now and again, plus new bushes 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member Tony Stott's Avatar
    When I worked as a technician in a high school technology section we used to harden homemade silver steel tooling by heating to cherry red then dropping the piece into old/black engine oil, hardened the surface a treat

2. #12 Re: Check you upper wishbone mount rods now and again, plus new bushes 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    When I was at school (many years ago) I remember in metalwork making tools like a tap and die tool that we hardened by heating to cherry red then dipping in whales oil. I still have them in the garage 45 years later. Don’t think whales oil is available any more though.
    1275 Marina/Ital based LWB Roadster in the process of a ground up rebuild.

3. #13 Re: Check you upper wishbone mount rods now and again, plus new bushes 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member Tony Stott's Avatar
    We ran out of caesenitt a particularly noxious powder used for hardening. an ex bmc apprentice, engineer eventually teacher came up with the engine oil solution, he'd previously used it in the engine development department at longbridge!

4. #14 Re: Check you upper wishbone mount rods now and again, plus new bushes 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member Patrick's Avatar
    Thanks for offer of making the parts, I was hoping to be done for the weekend to attend Stoneleigh with the Sportster.

I have the equipment to heat the metal up and old engine oil to harden the material, so I happy to give it ago.

Regarding the bushes, the powerflex purple ones Marlin started to supply/recommend for the Sportster around 2006/2007. I do wonder if the rally design ones are a bit harder which may have contributed to the issue. Originally I got some standard rubber bushes with the kit, but after an issue that required me to send wishbone parts back to them I didn’t get rubber bushes and was told the don’t supply them anymore.

5. #15 Re: Check you upper wishbone mount rods now and again, plus new bushes 
    Hi Patrick, no problem. Offer is still there if you need it.
    Don't forget to temper the silver steel after heat treatment to add some toughness back in.
    When quenching in oil, make sure you dip the part completely to minimise flames and vertically to maintain a good level of straightness in the parts. Swirl the heated parts in the oil to disperse the vapour jacket.
    Good luck.

6. #16 Re: Check you upper wishbone mount rods now and again, plus new bushes 
    I've had powerflex bushes installed at the front since 2004, but they are red in colour. At the rear i've got the purple variety.Colour does denote different properties/applications, whether for road or track use.

7. #17 Re: Check you upper wishbone mount rods now and again, plus new bushes 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by copperleaves11 View Post
    I've had powerflex bushes installed at the front since 2004, but they are red in colour. At the rear i've got the purple variety.Colour does denote different properties/applications, whether for road or track use.
    I know of no universal standard colour code that can be applied to suspension bushes, certainly not Superflex.
    Powerflex however offer four colours Red, Yellow, Purple and Black in increasing stiffness, but not every bush is available in every colour/stiffness.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

8. #18 Re: Check you upper wishbone mount rods now and again, plus new bushes 
    regular forum contributor
    Do be careful to temper them adequately after hardening otherwise they will be unacceptably brittle.

9. #19 Re: Check you upper wishbone mount rods now and again, plus new bushes 
    Club Member
    I would council caution when fitting the more rigid bushes. Cabrio forum readers will be familiar with the problems caused by rigidity in a compression strut replacing a relatively soft rubber mounted anti-roll bar. Cars for road use will certainly experience harsher surfaces than those on a track. Suspension for cars used for rallying can be considerable different. Both Rally and track cars will usually be checked rigorously after every race.

I did fit polyurethane inner track control arm bushes which are still in place. I purchased rear trailing arm bushes but I don’t plan to ever fit them.

The Powerflex web site makes it clear that the stiffer black series is for track, rally and race.
    Paul

10. #20 Re: Check you upper wishbone mount rods now and again, plus new bushes 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member Patrick's Avatar
    Thanks for all the input everyone. Been a bit busy at work so not had time to check back last few days