Back from a long weekend:-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back from a long weekend:-

Just back from a long weekend in Malvern for the RHS Three Counties Show, taking in Hereford and some National Trust properties on the journey. I got to drive nearly 500 miles in the Marlin and Urszula gets to visit a flower show.

I got away with telling her the Hunter's luggage space is too small to bring home any garden produce 😉 I’m amazed we managed to find it again in the carpark!

The Marlin performed impeccably, apart from still having an issue with the engine near stalling when idling hot and the Kenlowe cuts in?

Managed over 45Mpg on the round trip, very pleased, just need to get over the Marlin ‘ailments’ of simultaneous frozen neck and sunburned cheeks !

2019-05-11-RHS.jpg
    Marlin Hunter R500 ULA 1997 Ford-Based Hunter with 2.3 DOHC L4 engine, chassis/kit No. 157

Re: Back from a long weekend:-

Best I ever achieved with Cabrio was 34MPG over roughly 800miles [6 cyl BMW 2.5] . How did you manage 45?

Comment

Its all downhill back to Bideford!! ; - ))

Comment

Originally posted by A_Hogg View Post
        Best I ever achieved with Cabrio was 34MPG over roughly 800miles [6 cyl BMW 2.5] . How did you manage 45?
        [- Now you've got me worried, did I use the conversion for US Gallons in my fuel spread-sheet? -]

From a full tank at the start, we did 240 miles and the next top-up was 5.22 UK Gallons (23.75 litres), which I think, gives me 45.9 Mpg. I need to fill up again, to get the full 500-odd mile round trip consumption figure to be sure.

We did take it pretty easy however, Hereford seems to have mostly minor roads, I was cautious not knowing the area and with the top down anything over 60 on the M5 was a bit blowy, (Strangely the wicker picnic basket on the boot-rack (which we’d removed) seems to keep the back-draft down).

I’d also spent a lot of time on the tank filler pipe, and fuel gauge sender seal. Someone had ‘dinted’ the welded flange, it was anything but circular and no jubilee clip was going to seal that. The vent pipe was also very sloppy where it meets the tank top and there were tell-tale greasy patches with streaks down the tank sides to suggest years of spillage, which agreed with the strong smell of petrol when going downhill!
        Last edited by kahawi; 17-05-19, 05:53 PM. Reason: Improved line spacing
        Marlin Hunter R500 ULA 1997 Ford-Based Hunter with 2.3 DOHC L4 engine, chassis/kit No. 157

Comment

Working...
        X